|Original author(s)||Refractive Software (2009 - 2012)|
|Developer(s)||Otoy Inc. (2012 - present)|
|Stable release||v1.10 / February 5, 2013|
|Written in||C++|
Octane Render is a real-time 3D unbiased rendering application that was started by the New Zealand based company Refractive Software. OTOY has now taken over development, the program is currently in beta release. It is the first commercially available unbiased renderer to work exclusively on the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) and has the ability to work in real time. This allows users to modify materials, lighting and render settings “on the fly” because the rendering viewport updates immediately whenever a change is made. Octane Render runs exclusively on Nvidia's CUDA technology and is incompatible with video cards by other vendors.
- Real-time interactive texturing and lighting
- Node-based user interface allowing complex procedural materials
- Sharing of materials between users via OctaneLive
- Physically based / spectral light transport
- Motion blur (for camera movement only)
- Pause/resume render
- Multiple GPU support
- Render Passes:
- Geometric Normals
- Color ID
- Direct Lighting:
- 4 Levels of Global Illumination
- Path Tracing
- Spectrum or HDRI environment lighting
- Sun-sky daylight with location / date control system
- Emissive materials - emitter texture or blackbody spectrum
- Glossy, diffuse, translucent, and emissive materials
- Bump mapping and normal mapping
- Opacity / alpha mapping
- Thin film coatings
- Mixing/stacking of materials and layers
- OctaneLive online community material database
- Thin lens perspective with true depth of field
- 3D stereo anaglyph rendering
- Realistic camera controls:
- Camera response curves to simulate dozens of cameras
- Real-time tone mapping pipeline
- Built-in noise ("firefly") removal tool
Integration with other software
Octane Render (commercial version) comes with free export scripts for the following software:
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Autodesk Maya
- Autodesk Softimage
- MAXON Cinema 4D
- Google Sketchup
- Blender (software)
- Luxology Modo (software)
- LightWave 3D
- Rhinoceros 3D
Refractive Software announced that they will offer plug-ins for several applications, which will give users full access to Octane Render without the need of exporting scenes into the Octane standalone software.Users must have a license of the standalone version in order to purchase any of the listed plugins. The plugins will be available for:
On the 13th of March 2012, it was announced that Refractive Software® has been acquired by the company “OTOY®”. OTOY is a company that specializes in cloud based technology.Development on Octane Render will continue as planned.
- "octanerender™ standalone edition". render.otoy.com. Otoy. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "polygon-pushers.org- Octane Render review", 2011-05-09
- "cgchannel.com- GPU based rendering", 2011-05-09
- "CGsociety.org- 2010 Retrospective List", 2011-05-09
- "macnn.com- Nvidia card requirement"
- "blender3darchitect.com- review", 2011-05-09
- "createdigitalmotion.com- Octane Render demo", 2011-05-09
- "vizworld.com- Octane Render", 2011-05-09
- "SIGGRAPH 2010- Octane Render demo"
- "Evermotion.org- Octane Render review", 2011-05-09
- - "Octane Render Plug in Announcement"
- Refractive Software Acquisition Announcement "