Octopus in Antibes, July 21, 2009
|Class & type:||LR|
|Length:||126.20 m (414.0 ft)|
|Beam:||21.00 m (68.90 ft)|
|Draft:||5.66 m (18.6 ft)|
|Installed power:||8 diesel engines
total 19,200 hp (14,300 kW)
|Speed:||max: 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)
cruise: 17 knots (31 km/h; 20 mph)
|Notes:||source used "Superyachts.com" website, unless cited otherwise.|
Octopus is a 414 foot (126 m) megayacht owned by Paul Allen, of Microsoft. Bought in 2003, for a price of $200 million, she was believed to be the biggest such yacht at the time of her construction.[broken citation][not in citation given] She is currently the world's 15th largest superyacht, the fifth largest superyacht not owned by a head of state, and the largest expedition yacht.
Octopus sports two helicopters on the top deck (one in front and one on the back), and a 63-foot (19 m) tender docked in the transom. There are a total of seven tenders aboard. The yacht also has a pool, located aft on one of her upper decks, and two submarines (one of them operated by remote control for studying the bottom of the ocean). Side hatches at the water line form a dock for jet skis.
The exterior was designed by Espen Øino Naval Architects and built by the German shipbuilders Lürssen in Bremen and HDW in Kiel. The interior was by designer Jonathan Quinn Barnett of Seattle.
Some of Octopus main features are:
- an owner-exclusive deck (includes walk-in closet, study, outside bar with whirlpool)
- a glass bottom swimming pool
- a cinema
- a music recording studio
- a hangar for two helicopters
- a 10-person submarine
Octopus was built in 2005 and refitted in 2008. She is owned by Paul Allen, who also owns Tatoosh, another of the world's 100 largest yachts.
On 31 January 2011, one of the helicopters on the yacht had to perform an emergency landing on the water just after it took off from the yacht whilst sailing in Ushuaia, Argentina. According to an Argentine Coast Guard officer, no casualties were reported and the aircraft had not leaked oil into the sea.
- "Octopus Yacht Specification". Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "The Wild World of Paul Allen". Daily News. 5 February 2006. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- "El helicóptero de uno de los fundadores de Microsoft debió acuatizar en Ushuaia". Clarín (in Spanish). 31 January 2011. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- "Octopus Yacht". SuperYachts.com. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Super Yacht Octopus". superyachtfan.com. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
Media related to Octopus (ship, 2003) at Wikimedia Commons