Location of Odon in the state of Indiana
|• Total||0.96 sq mi (2.49 km2)|
|• Land||0.95 sq mi (2.46 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||545 ft (166 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,368|
|• Density||1,425.3/sq mi (550.3/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EST (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0440512|
Odon was originally called Clarksburg, and under the latter name was laid out in 1846. In 1880 the name was changed to Odon. Odon was incorporated in 1885.
Odon is located at (38.841462, -86.991148).
According to the 2010 census, the town has a total area of 0.96 square miles (2.5 km2), of which 0.95 square miles (2.5 km2) (or 98.96%) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.026 km2) (or 1.04%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,354 people, 603 households, and 347 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,425.3 inhabitants per square mile (550.3/km2). There were 686 housing units at an average density of 722.1 per square mile (278.8/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 98.3% White, 0.6% Native American, 0.3% Asian, and 0.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.3% of the population.
There were 603 households of which 27.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.3% were married couples living together, 13.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 42.5% were non-families. 39.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 23.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.89.
The median age in the town was 45.1 years. 23.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 20.4% were from 25 to 44; 26.2% were from 45 to 64; and 24% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 45.6% male and 54.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,376 people, 601 households, and 378 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,458.4 people per square mile (565.2/km²). There were 652 housing units at an average density of 691.0 per square mile (267.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.62% White, 0.15% African American, 0.44% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.15% from other races, and 0.29% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.87% of the population.
There were 601 households out of which 25.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.9% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.1% were non-families. 35.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the town the population was spread out with 21.9% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 24.3% from 25 to 44, 23.3% from 45 to 64, and 23.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 89.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $34,667, and the median income for a family was $42,813. Males had a median income of $31,438 versus $20,833 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,020. About 8.7% of families and 11.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.1% of those under age 18 and 9.0% of those age 65 or over.
Odon is served by the North Daviess Junior-Senior High School.
- Joe Dawson (racing driver)
- Herb Henderson - American football player, coach, and official. Became the 86th inductee to the Indiana Football Hall of Fame on November 30, 1979.
- John Poindexter - National Security Advisor in 1985 and director of DARPA for much of 2003. Convicted of multiple felonies in the Iran–Contra affair, convictions were reversed upon appeal.
- Frank Douglas Garrett - born July 19, 1944 - University Dean, Speaker, Author - All Marine Basketball 1964-66, JUCO All American Basketball, 1967–69; Honored by town of Odon at Old Settler's of 2006.
- "Places: Indiana". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of Knox and Daviess Counties, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present. Goodspeed Publishing Company. 1886. p. 704.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.