|• Mayor||Steffen Schneider (FW)|
|• Total||77.35 km2 (29.87 sq mi)|
|Elevation||400 m (1,300 ft)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The town includes the villages of Börnichen, Breitenau, Frankenstein, Gahlenz, Görbersdorf, Kirchbach, Lößnitztal and Schönerstadt.
Oederan was first mentioned as town in 1286. The settlement of the area dates back to a Sorbian tribe in the 9th and 10th century. Rhenish Franconian farmers, craftsmen and traders settled down in the 12th century. Since the Middle Ages the most important industries had been cloth manufacturing and linen weaving. In the 19th century the railway construction had a great influence to the growth of the town. Some medium-sized factories were built around the train station of Oederan.
Cziborra, Pascal. KZ Oederan. Verlorene Jugend. Lorbeer Verlag. Bielefeld. 2008 ISBN 978-3-938969-06-9
Places of interest
Oederan is known for its tourist attraction “Klein-Erzgebirge”, the oldest miniature park in Germany. About 185 miniatures of famous buildings from the area of the Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains) in a reduced scale of 1:25 are shown here.
The second most prominent building of the town is the town hall. First built around 1400 AD, it burned down several times (1632, 1709 and 1753), and was re-erected in its present shape in 1785.
- Igor Mitoraj - (1944-), Polish sculptor and painter
- Minna Planer - (1809–1866), Richard Wagner's wife
- Adolf Gottlieb Fiedler - (1771–1850), Saxon entrepreneur in Saxony and Poland
- "Statistisches Landesamt des Freistaates Sachsen – Bevölkerung des Freistaates Sachsen jeweils am Monatsende ausgewählter Berichtsmonate nach Gemeinden". Statistisches Landesamt des Freistaates Sachsen (in German). 6 September 2014.
- oederan.de: History of Oederan. June 8, 2008
- Christine O'Keefe: Concentration Camps.
- klein-erzgebirge.de: Der älteste Miniaturpark der Welt lädt ein!. June 8, 2008