|Administrative region:||West Greece|
|Population statistics (as of 2011)|
|Time zone:||EET/EEST (UTC+2/3)|
|Elevation (center):||10 m (33 ft)|
|Postal code:||300 01|
Oiniades (Greek: Οινιάδες) is a former municipality in Aetolia-Acarnania, West Greece, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Messolonghi, of which it is a municipal unit. In 2011, it had a population of 9,373. The seat of the municipality was in Neochori Mesolongiou.
The municipal unit Oiniades is subdivided into the following communities (constituent villages in brackets):
- Neochori Mesolongiou (Neochori, Magoula, Marmara)
- Mastro (Mastro, Platania)
Oeniadae (Ancient Greek: Οἰνιάδαι - Oiniadai) was a port town on the west bank of the river Achelous, and one of the most important towns of ancient Acarnania. It was situated against a hill in the middle of marshes, which protected it from invaders. Its location has been identified with that of the present village Katochi. Oeniadae was first mentioned in the 5th century BC. Its city walls are well preserved, and several buildings have been excavated in 1900-1901: a theatre, a bath complex and a ship shed.
The municipality Oiniades, named after the ancient town Oeniadae, was established in 1997 by merging the previously independent communities Neochori Mesolongiou, Gouria, Mastro, Lesini, Pentalofo and Katochi. The first mayor of the municipality was Gerasimos M. Nestoratos who served as a mayor the years 1998-2002 (first election) and 2002-2006 (second election). The last mayor of Oiniades was Antonios Aletras (elected 2006).
- "Detailed census results 2011" (xls 2,7 MB). National Statistical Service of Greece. (Greek)
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
- Smith, William, ed. (1854–1857). "Oeniadae". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography. London: John Murray.
- OINIADAI Greece, entry in The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites.
- EETAA local government changes
- Municipality of Oiniades (Greek)
- Oiniades (municipality) on GTP Travel Pages
- Ancient Oeniadae on GTP Travel Pages
- Ancient Oeniadae access information
- jstor.org, Oeniadae: I. History and Topography by Benjamin Powell, 1904