|• Mayor||Murat Saral (AKP)|
|• District||177.81 km2 (68.65 sq mi)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|• District density||240/km2 (610/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Area code(s)||(+90) 462|
Of[pronunciation?] (Ancient greek Ophious, Οφιούς) is a town and district of Trabzon Province in the Black Sea region of Turkey. It is located in the eastern part of Trabzon and is an important historical district of the province. The mayor is Oktay Saral (AKP).
There are several stories about the origins of its name. According first assumption it means "village", "settlement" in Laz (Laz: oput'e) - the old name of the town is mentioned as "Opinute". By the other version its name is the replica of the word ofis, a Greek word for "snake". The other assumption suggests that the name of the district stems from "Op" which means "gun" in the old South Siberian Turkic language.
The history of Trabzon started with the Greek colonies in the region.
- Erdoğan Bayraktar Politician, The current Minister of Environment and Urban Planning of Turkey
- Yaser Hacımustafaoğlu (1991) footballer
- Fatih Öztürk (1983) footballer
- Mehmet Yılmaz (1979) footballer
- Ali Ağaoğlu Businessman, famous in Turkish construction sector (1959)
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- District governor's official website (Turkish)
|This geographical article about a location in Trabzon Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|