Offensive Security Certified Professional
Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP) is an ethical hacking certification offered by Offensive Security - a training spin off of the BackTrack Penetration Testing distribution. The OSCP is a real-life penetration testing certification, requiring holders to successfully attack and penetrate various live machines in a safe lab environment. It is currently one of the few certifications that requires proof of real-life penetration testing skills.
The course leading up to the OSCP Certification was originally called "Offensive Security 101", but was changed to "Pentesting With BackTrack" in December 2008. "Pentesting With BackTrack" covers common attack vectors used during penetration tests and audits, based on the popular Linux penetration testing distribution - BackTrack. This course is offered in two formats, either online or live "instructor led" classes. The online course is a package consisting of videos, a pdf, lab assignments and lab access; the instructor led course is intensive live training covering the same material, also with lab access. The labs are accessible via a high speed internet connection, and contain a variety of operating systems and network devices where the students perform their assignments.
Upon completion of the course students become eligible to take the certification challenge. They are given 24 hours in an unfamiliar lab to successfully complete the exam requirements. Documentation must include procedures used and proof of successful penetration including special marker files that are changed per exam. Exam results are reviewed by a certification committee and a reply is given within 72 hours.
The OSCP does not require re-certification.
Relations to other security trainings or exams
- Offensive Security http://www.offensive-security.com
- "The Ethical Hacker Network - OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional) Certification". Ethicalhacker.net. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- Securiteam Blogs http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/989
- Elwood.net http://www.elwood.net/post/39599202/offensive-security-oscp
- Offensive Security Training page http://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-training.php
- Xyberpix Blog http://xyberpix.blogspot.com/2007/08/oscp-certification-challenge-most.html