Office for the Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff
|This article is part of a series on the|
The Office for the Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff is described in Pastor Bonus as:
Art. 182 — § 1. The Office for the Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff is to prepare all that is necessary for the liturgical and other sacred celebrations performed by the Supreme Pontiff or in his name according to the current prescriptions of liturgical law.
§ 2. The master of papal liturgical celebrations is appointed by the Supreme Pontiff to a five-year term of office; papal masters of ceremonies who assist him in sacred celebrations are likewise appointed by the secretary of state to a term of the same length.
List of Masters of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations
- Enrico Dante (1947 – 1965)
- Annibale Bugnini (1968 – 9 January 1970)
- Virgilio Noè (9 January 1970 – 6 March 1982)
- John Magee (1982 – 17 February 1987)
- Piero Marini (17 February 1987 - 1 October 2007)
- Guido Marini (1 October 2007 - present)
As well as assisting the Pope at sacred functions the Papal Master of Ceremonies also assist Cardinals: during Consistories, taking possession of Titular Churches, solemn celebrations of Mass or other important religious services. From the moment a Cardinal is created at a Consistory, the Master of Papal Liturgical Celebrations assigns to his person one of the Office's Masters of Ceremonies.
- Günther Wassilowsky, Hubert Wolf: Päpstliches Zeremoniell in der Frühen Neuzeit – Das Diarium des Zeremonienmeisters Paolo Alaleone de Branca während des Pontifikats Gregors XV. (1621–1623). Rhema-Verlag, Münster 2007, ISBN 978-3-930454-80-8 (with the complete original Latin text of the diarium)