Official Gazette (Philippines)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
The Official Gazette was created under Act № 453, "An Act providing for the publication by the Insular Government of an Official Gazette, under the general direction of the Department of Public Instruction." Act № 453 was enacted by the Philippine Commission by the authority of the United States of America on September 2, 1902. Vol. 1 № 1 of the Official Gazette came out on September 10, 1902. Act № 664, enacted on March 5, 1903, amended the earlier Act № 453 and provided for further distribution of the Official Gazette. The 2nd National Assembly of the Philippines passed Commonwealth Act № 638, "An Act to provide for the uniform publication and distribution of the Official Gazette" on May 22, 1941 which was approved by President Manuel L. Quezon on June 10, 1941.
Executive Order № 200 s. 1987 issued by President Corazon C. Aquino states “Laws shall take effect after fifteen days following the completion of their publication either in the Official Gazette or in a newspaper of general circulation in the Philippines”. On July 26, 2010, the online version of the Official Gazette was launched. Executive Order № 4, s. 2010, signed by President Benigno S. Aquino III on July 30, 2010 placed editorial responsibilities for the Official Gazette under the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office.
According to Section 1 of Commonwealth Act № 638, the contents of the Official Gazette include the following:
- all important legislative acts and resolutions of a public nature of the Congress of the Philippines;
- all executive and administrative orders and proclamations, except such as have no general applicability;
- decisions or abstracts of decisions of the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals as may be deemed by said courts of sufficient importance to be so published;
- such documents or classes of documents as may be required so to be published by law; and
- such documents or classes of documents as the President of the Philippines shall determine from time to time to have general applicability and legal effect, or which he may authorize so to be published
- "History of the Official Gazette". Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines. Official Gazette (Philippines). 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- Quezon III, Manuel L. "Commonwealth Act No. 638, An Act to Provide for the Uniform Publication and Distribution of the Official Gazette". Scribd. Retrieved 2014-01-16.