Official Subscription Plays Chart
The Official Subscription Plays Chart is a music chart based on the number of plays of songs on subscription-based services in the United Kingdom. It is compiled weekly by The Official Charts Company (OCC), and is believed by Martin Talbot, managing director of the OCC, to be the first of its kind in the entire world. Each week's number one is published on a dedicated webpage of the OCC's official website—this webpage first went live in mid-2009.
The Official Subscription Plays Chart was launched for the first time on 22 September 2008, for a trial period of six months. Initially, it was solely based on digital plays from the subscription services HMV, MusicStation, Napster and the Nokia Music Store, all of which charged users a monthly fee. The data that these services supplied was compiled into a record chart of the 500 most-played tracks—each week also featured top-line market statistics.
When first launched, the Official Subscription Plays Chart tracked between 3 million and 3.5 million digital plays per week (with a weekly average of more than 3.2 million), across a library of approximately 340,000 unique tracks. The first song to top the chart was "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry. As well as songs that were charting high in the companion UK Singles Chart, the first ever Official Subscription Plays Chart also featured album tracks from records by bands such as Elbow, The Verve and Glasvegas. According to the British Phonographic Industry, "the Official Subscription Plays Chart underlines the greater tendency to experiment among users of subscription services".
- List of Official Subscription Plays Chart number ones
- Official Streaming Chart
- UK Official Download Chart
- UK Singles Chart
- "The Charts We Compile". London: The Official Charts Company. 2010. Retrieved 9 October 2011. "... * Subscription Plays ..."
- "Subscription music chart launches in the UK". Houten: Telecompaper. 24 September 2008. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Digital Plays Top 40". London: The Official Charts Company. 2010. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "World-first as OCC charts ad-supported services". Music Week (London: United Business). 6 April 2009. ISSN 0265-1548. OCLC 60620772. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Cardew, Ben (22 September 2008). "OCC launches subscriptions chart". In Williams, Paul. Music Week (London: CMP). ISSN 0265-1548. OCLC 60620772. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "OCC führt Neuerungen in den UK-Charts ein" (in German). Munich: Kino.de. 23 September 2008. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Music Top 500 Chart now tracks online subscriptions.(ONLINE MUSIC SERVICES)". Los Angeles: The Online Reporter. 26 September 2008. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Gibson, Owen (24 September 2008). "Chart shakeup keeps track with broadband age of music". The Guardian (London: Guardian Media). ISSN 0261-3077. OCLC 476290235. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Music subscription services get official chart". London: British Phonographic Industry. 23 September 2008. Retrieved 9 October 2011.