|Nickname(s): Gateway State|
Location of Ogun State in Nigeria
|Date created||3 February 1976|
| • Governor
|Ibikunle Amosun ([All Progressives Congress][APC])|
|• Total||16,980.55 km2 (6,556.23 sq mi)|
|Area rank||24th of 36|
|Population (2006 census)|
|• Rank||16 of 36|
|• Density||220/km2 (570/sq mi)|
|• Total||$10.47 billion|
|• Per capita||$2,740|
|Time zone||WAT (UTC+01)|
|ISO 3166 code||NG-OG|
Ogun State is a state in southwestern Nigeria. Created in 1976, it borders Lagos State to the south, Oyo and Osun states to the north, Ondo State to the east and the Republic of Benin to the west. Abeokuta is the capital and largest city in the state.
Ogun has one federal university Federal University: the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta; one state government college of education, named after the late Nigerian educationist of international repute Augustus Taiwo Solarin in 1994 as Tai Solarin College of Education (TASCE),(formerly known as Ogun State College of Education, Ijagun, Ijebu-Ode, one state government polythechnic named after late Nigerian business mogul and political icon the acclaimed winner of June 12, 1993 election, Basorun Moshood Kasimawo Olawale Abiola as Moshood Abiola Polythechnic (MAPOLY), formerly known as Ogun State Polythechnic, Ojere, Abeokuta, and two state government universities: Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye (formerly known as Ogun State University), and the Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) Ijebu Ode. Ogun State has a total of nine registered universities, the highest of any state in Nigeria. It has five private universities. Amongst others are Covenant University and Babcock University in Ilisan-Remo, which was the first private university in the country. The state has two major government hospitals: the Federal Medical Center at Abeokuta, and the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital in Sagamu.The National Youth Service Corps Permanent Orientation Camp is located at Sagamu Local Government area of the state.
The state contains the following twenty Local Government Areas:
The State Anthem
Ise ya Ise ya omo Ogun ise ya eledumare ise ma ya o e ise ya
Eyin omo ogun ese kiri ise po fun wo lati se omo rere kii n sa se omo ogun kii n sole E bere gberu o, oluwa n be fun wa e tera mo se o
Ise ya Omo Ogun Ise ya.
The state's nickname is "Gateway to Nigeria". It was created in February 1976 from the former Western State. The 1991 census recorded a total population of 2,338,570 residents. The state governor is Senator Ibikunle Amosun.
Famous native sons and daughters
- Hannah Idowu Dideolu Awolowo
- Obafemi Awolowo
- MKO Abiola
- Mike Adenuga
- Olusegun Obasanjo
- Wole Soyinka
- Senator Olabiyi Durojaye
- Stephen Olabisi Onasanya
- Senator Abraham Adesanya
- Peter Akinola
- Fela Anikulapo Kuti
- Ernest Shonekan
- Oladipo Diya
- Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti
- J A Aromire
- Kuforiji Olubi
- Ola Rotimi
- Tunde Bakare
- Peter Olakeinde Sogbesan
- Tai Solarin
- Prof OA Somefun
- Dr PA Onakoya
- Oba Otudeko
- Adetokunbo A. Onasanya - Dayo Scuba
- Subomi Balogun
- Bayo Kuku
- Wasiu Ayinde KWAM 1
- Salawa Abeni
- Chief Olu Oyesanya
- Jubril Martins-Kuye
Ikenne Remo is home to many prominent sons and daughters of Ogun State and has over the years evolved to become the political and intellectual 'mecca' of the state. With Obafemi Awolowo home and rich library resources open to the public and history researchers; (acknowledged to have groomed business, religious and political leaders) and of course the annual Ereke Day festival attracting tourists from within and without the country.
Chief Obafemi Awolowo is revered as one of the founding fathers of Nigeria, alongside Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe and Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, the late Sardauna of Sokoto. He was Prime Minister of the Western Region from 1954 - 1959 after which he became the opposition leader in the Federal House of Representatives. He built the educational,political and business infrastructure upon which the Western States have built and thrived.
Ogun State, today, has emerged as one of the fastest growing business destinations in Nigeria, with several local and international businesses and factories strategically sited within the 2 km government acquisition area of the Lagos - Sagamu expressway. With Dangote's cement factory in Ibese, Nestle, DHL, Big Treat, Coleman Cables and several others, Ogun State may as well be the investor's haven in the Sub Region.
Senator Ibikunle Amosun is the current governor of Ogun State.
Tertiary Institutions in Ogun state
- University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- Covenant University, Ota 
- Bells University of Technology, Ota
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Tai Solarin College of Education (TASCE), Omu, Ijebu Ode
- Moshood Abiola Polythechnic (MAPOLY) Abeokuta
- Redeemer's University (RUN), Redemption Camp of The Redeemed Christian Church of God, Mowe
- Babcock University, Ilisan Remo
- Tai Solarin University of Education,Ijagun, Ijebu Ode
- Crawford University, Igbesa
- Adetokunbo University, Sagamu
- Crescent University, Abeokuta
- Mountain Top University, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria
- McPherson University, Seriki-Sotayo 
Notable religious places in Ogun state
- The Church of the Lord (Aladura), Ogere Remo
- ST PETER"S Cathedral, Ake, Abeokuta
- Ijebu-Ode Central Mosque, Ijebu-Ode
- Celestial Church of Christ (CCC) World-wide Camp, Imeko
- Christ Love Evangelical Ministries(CLEM) Ibadan Road, Ijebu-Ode
- Diadem Christian Church International, Ijebu Ode
- The Redemption Camp of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, along Lagos-Ibadan Exp. Way, Mowe
- Faith Tabernacle aka Winners Chapel, Canaanland, Ota
- Prayer City of Mountain of Fire & Miracle Ministry, along Lagos-Ibadan Exp. Way
- Deeper Life Conference Center (DLCC), along Lagos-Ibadan Exp. Way
- Faith City (Apostolic Faith Church) along Atan-Agbara road, Igbesa, Ogun State
- Chief Oyeneye Olusesan House in Oluwo Onikolobo, Abeokuta
- Bilikisu Sungbo Shrine, Oke-Eiri, near Ijebu-Ode, declared a national Heritage since 1964,was the burial place of the acclaimed (Sungbo Eredo and Its Ecotourism Values: Sonubi O K (2009)Queen Sheba, a gathering of faithfuls during major Muslim and Christian festivals.
- ST JOHN"S Afican church Arigbajo
- List of Ogun State local government areas by population
- List of Tourism attractions in the state: Olumo Rock in Abeokuta, Bilikisu Sungbo Shrine in Oke-Eri, Yemoji Natural Swimming Pool at Ijebu-Ode, Oyan Dam in Abeokuta North, Iwopin Boat Regatta and Ebute-Oni in Ogun Waterside. Other sites are: Madam Tinubu Shrine, Abeokuta; Oronna Shrine, Ilaro; Area J4 Forest Reserve (Omo Biosphere Reserve); Tongeji Island, Ipokia; Old Manse at Ogbe, Abeokuta; St James Anglican School, Ota and Ijamido River Shrine, Ota. There is also the June 12 Cultural Centre Park and Museum at Abeokuta(source:Ogun State Diary, 2013). Ojude-Oba festival, Ijebu-Ode and Agemo festival in Ijebu.University of Agriculture Zoological Garden, Abeokuta, Sungbo Eredo-the largest single ancient monument in Africa in Ijebu(Darling,1999).
<Ogun State Diary, 2013>
Ogun State has always been adjudged to be either socially inactive, or to have a social life that satisfies the 'uneducated', as all that was available in Ogun State was just beer-parlous, local joints, and hangouts where Juju,Fuji,Apala and other old genres of music were played or performed. Most vibrant youths had to travel for about two hours to Lagos for any meaningful form of modern entertainment.
The entrance of RichardRollyn Media into the social scene of Ogun State has changed the face of the Ogun State social scene. RichardRollyn Media Ltd., led by the Akinpelu Michael aka. Mecoy moved in from Lagos in 2013 to organize the Gateway Youth Awards with Spotagory as the major sponsor as even the government of Ogun State refused to support them. Nonetheless, about thirty youths of Ogun State were successfully honored and awards were presented to them. The night of the awards and all pre-events proved to be the ideal relaxation event for any modern youth.
RichardRollyn Media also went ahead to work with Ogun State's popular Gospel/Juju/Tungba Music artiste: Prince Ayoola Akinola and gave him a branding which is appealing to all categories of youths. They have also succeeded in partnering with several upcoming entertainment outfits in Ogun State to organize several events and parties.
RichardRollyn Media Ltd. which has worked with several musical acts in Ogun State is also working hard towards the organization of the first GATEWAY CARNIVAL.
If RichardRollyn Media can continue in this manner for the next couple of years, then the outfit might succeed in making Ogun State the new center of entertainment in Nigeria. 
- "C-GIDD (Canback Global Income Distribution Database)". Canback Dangel. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- Ogun State Government Homepage
- Portal of Educational Institutions in Ogun State
- Federal Government College, Odogbolu