Ohio Roller Girls
|Metro area||Columbus, Ohio|
|Teams||Ohio Roller Girls
|Venue||The Ohio State Fairgrounds|
The Ohio Roller Girls (OHRG) is a WFTDA member women's flat track roller derby League based in Columbus, Ohio. The league, which was founded in April 2005 by Melissa Wallace, aka Scarlette Fury held their first bout in Battelle Hall at the Greater Columbus Convention Center on April 23, 2006. In 2007, the league began holding bouts at the Lausche Building at the Ohio State Fairgrounds.
For its first three seasons, OHRG consisted of four home teams which included: The Band of Brawlers, The Blackeye Bullies, The Sprockettes and The Take-Outs.} Each team had a unique theme. The Brawlers were the WWII-inspired military team, the Bullies were schoolyard bullies, the Sprockettes were from space, and the Take-Outs were ninja-esque.
In 2007, the league hosted the first WFTDA Eastern Regional Tournament, Heartland Havoc. Twelve teams from the East Region of the WFTDA competed, with Gotham Girls Roller Derby winning the tournament. Ohio Roller Girls were defeated in the first round by Providence Roller Derby.
In 2008, the league debuted an all-Ohio roller derby expo at the Ohio State Fair. The event returned in 2009 and 2011.
Beginning with the 2009 season, the league switched to an A & B team, interleague only format, consisting of the WFTDA Chartered Team (formerly All-Stars) that competes against other WFTDA leagues from around the country for rankings, and a B-team, Gang Green, that plays against other WFTDA B teams and non-WFTDA teams.
In May 2010, the league hosted the WFTDA Annual Meeting, known as Oh!con.
In 2011, the Ohio Roller Girls made a bid for the WFTDA North Central Regional Tournament. After a successful rankings push, the Ohio Roller Girls entered the tournament in 10th place and finished in the 9th place slot.
- Reed, Tom (2007-08-16). "Girls just want to have fun -- and crush opponents". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Minnear, Travis (2006-01-11). "Rolling Rebels". The Lantern. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Ellis, Mark (2006-04-23). "Rockin' rollers: Revived derby pits feisty women on skates". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Ohio Roller Girls website
- "2007 Heartland Havoc". Ohiorollergirls.com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Fireworks out at Ohio State Fair this year to save money". The Urbana Daily Citizen. 2008-07-28. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- OHRG MySpace page
- Saucer, Geoffrey (2011-10-09). "North Central 9th Place: 10NC Ohio Closes Out 6NC Madison, 138-118". Derby News Network. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Current Rankings", WFTDA
- "Monumental Mayhem WFTDA 2011 North Central Region Playoffs", WFTDA
|This article about a sports-related organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|