Ohio State Route 561
|Maintained by ODOT|
|Length:||7.11 mi (11.44 km)|
|Existed:||1938 – present|
|South end:||US 50 in Cincinnati|
|I-71 in Norwood|
|North end:||Vine Street in Cincinnati|
State Route 561 (SR 561) is a north–south state highway in the southwestern portion of the U.S. state of Ohio. Its southern terminus is at U.S. Route 50 approximately 9 miles (14 km) east of Downtown Cincinnati – this point also serves as the western termini for both State Route 32 and State Route 125; the route’s northern terminus is at its intersection with State Route 4. The route takes many different names along its length, being first known as Linwood Avenue, Observatory Avenue, and Edwards Road in Cincinnati; then it is named Smith Road and Carthage Avenue as it passes through Norwood; its final stretch in Cincinnati once again is as Seymour Avenue.
No part of SR 561 in Ohio is included as a part of the National Highway System (NHS). The NHS is a network of highways that are identified as being most important for the economy, mobility and defense of the nation.
SR 561 heads north from the southern terminus at an interchange with US 50. The route heads northwest turning north towards Interstate 71. After I–71, the road has an short concurrency with US 22/SR 3 in Norwood. The road heads towards the northern terminus at Vine Street, passing through a traffic light at SR 4 (Paddock Road) just south of exit 9 of I–75.
- 1938 – Original route certified; originally routed from 2 miles (3.2 km) north of its current southern terminus to U.S. Route 42.
- 1941 – Extended south to its current terminus on a former segment of U.S. Route 50.
- 1947 – Northern terminus moved to 1-mile (1.6 km) north of State Route 4 (Ohio) along a previously unnumbered road.
The entire route is in Hamilton County.
|Cincinnati||0.00||0.00||US 50 / SR 32 east / SR 125 east||Southern terminus of SR 561|
|4.18||6.73||US 22 west / SR 3 south||Southern end of US 22/SR 3 concurrency|
|US 22 east / SR 3 north||Northern end of US 22/SR 3 concurrency|
|Cincinnati||5.99||9.64||US 42 (Reading Road)|
|6.80||10.94||SR 4 (Paddock Road) to I-75|
|7.11||11.44||Vine Street||Northern terminus of SR 561|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Ohio Department of Transportation. "Technical Services Straight Line Diagrams". Retrieved April 30, 2010.
- Federal Highway Administration (December 2003) (PDF). National Highway System: Ohio (Map). http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/maps/oh/cincinnati_oh.pdf. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- "National Highway System". Federal Highway Administration. August 26, 2010. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – Overview of OH 561 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&hl=en&tab=nl. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- Route 561 (The Unofficial Ohio State Highways Web Site) by John Simpson