Ohio State Treasurer
The treasurer of the U.S. State of Ohio is responsible for collecting and safeguarding taxes and fees, and managing state investments. The Treasury was located in the Ohio Statehouse from 1861 to 1974, when it was moved to the Rhodes State Office Tower. The original office in the statehouse has been restored to its nineteenth-century appearance, and is used for ceremonial events.
Before Ohio became a state, John Armstrong was Treasurer-General of the Northwest Territory from 1796 to 1803. He was appointed to the post by the United States Congress. Under the first constitution of Ohio, 1803 to 1851, the state legislature appointed a treasurer. Since the second constitution in 1852, the office has been elective.
List of Ohio State Treasurers
|1796–1803||John Armstrong||as Treasurer of the Northwest Territory|
|1803–1816||William McFarland||resigned |
|1816–1820||Hiram M. Curry||resigned February 15, 1820|
|1847–1852||Albert A. Bliss||Whig|
|1852–1856||John G. Breslin||Democratic|
|1856–1857||William Harvey Gibson||Republican||resigned June 13, 1857|
|1857–1862||Alfred P. Stone||Republican|
|1862–1865||G. V. Dorsey||Republican||resigned September 25, 1865|
|1866–1871||S. S. Warner||Republican|
|1872–1875||Isaac Welsh||Republican||died November 25, 1875|
|1876–1878||John M. Millikin||Republican|
|1886–1892||John C. Brown||Republican|
|1892–1896||William T. Cope||Republican|
|1896–1900||Samuel B. Campbell||Republican|
|1900–1904||Issac B. Cameron||Republican|
|1904–1908||William S. McKinnon||Republican||died|
|1908–1909||Charles C. Green||Republican||appointed|
|1909–1913||David S. Creamer||Democratic|
|1913–1915||John P. Brennan||Democratic|
|1915–1917||Rudolph W. Archer||Republican|
|1917–1919||Chester E. Bryan||Democratic|
|1919–1923||Rudolph W. Archer (2nd)||Republican|
|1923–1927||Harry S. Day||Republican|
|1927–1929||Bert B. Buckley||Republican||resigned February 5, 1929|
|1929–1930||H. Ross Ake||Republican|
|1930–1931||Edwin A. Todd|
|1931–1937||Harry S. Day (2nd)||Republican|
|1937–1939||Clarence H. Knisley|
|1939–1951||Don H. Ebright||Republican|
|1951–1959||Roger W. Tracy||Republican|
|1959–1963||Joseph T. Ferguson||Democratic|
|1963–1971||John D. Herbert||Republican|
|1971–1983||Gertrude W. Donahey||Democratic|
|1983–1994||Mary Ellen Withrow||Democratic|
|1994–1999||J. Kenneth Blackwell||Republican|
|1999–2005||Joseph T. Deters||Republican|
|Elections in Ohio|
- "History of the State Treasury". Ohio State Trearurer. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- Taylor, William Alexander; Taylor, Aubrey Clarence (1899). Ohio statesmen and annals of progress: from the year 1788 to the year 1900 .... State of Ohio. p. 86.
- Wikoff, Allen T. (1875). Annual report of the secretary of state to the Governor of the state of Ohio for the year 1874. Columbus: Nevins & Myers, State Printers. p. 12.
- Kokomo Daily Tribune, Feb 6, 1929 - Buckley was convicted of attempted bribery, and resigned rather than be impeached
- Boyce was appointed in 2008, he will run in an election in 2010.
- "Treasurer of State November 2, 2010". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 2013-6-27.
- Brown, Thad H (1923). Vote polled in the several counties of the State of Ohio at the Election held November 7, 1922 and at the Primary Elections held August 8, 1922. p. 15.
- Ohio General Assembly (1921). Journal of the House of Representatives of the 84th General Assembly of the State of Ohio CIX. Columbus: F J Heer Printing. p. 22.
- Journal of the House of Representatives of the Eighty Second General Assembly of the State of Ohio. 1917. p. 27.
- Powell 1913 : 453-454
- Powell 1913 : 423
- Ohio Secretary of State. Ohio election statistics:. page 404 of pdf file
- Ohio Secretary of State. Ohio election statistics:. page 17 of pdf file
- Ohio Secretary of State. Ohio election statistics:. page 1667 of pdf file
- Powell 1913 : 379-380
- Powell 1913 : 371-372
- Taylor, William Alexander; Taylor, Aubrey Clarence (1899). Ohio statesmen and annals of progress: from the year 1788 to the year 1900 ... 2. State of Ohio. p. 121. page 388 of pdf file
- Smith 1898 : 665
- Smith 1898 : 644
- Smith 1898 : 605
- Smith 1898 : 579
- Smith 1898 : 541
- Smith 1898 : 512
- Smith 1898 : 473
- Smith 1898 : 450
- Smith 1898 : 406
- Smith 1898 : 379
- Smith 1898 : 342
- Smith 1898 : 319
- Smith 1898 : 286
- Smith 1898 : 268
- Smith 1898 : 238
- Smith 1898 : 209
- Smith 1898 : 161
- Smith 1898 : 140
- Smith 1898 : 95
- Smith 1898 : 74
- Smith 1898 : 40
- Bell 1876 : 120-121
- Bell 1876 : 114-115
- Smith, Joseph P, ed. (1898). History of the Republican Party in Ohio I. Chicago: the Lewis Publishing Company.
- Bell, William, Jr. (1876). Annual report of the Secretary of State to the Governor and General Assembly for the year 1875.... Ohio Secretary of State.
- Powell, Thomas Edward, ed. (1913). The Democratic party of the state of Ohio: a comprehensive history 1. The Ohio Publishing Company.
- "Ohio State Treasurer website". Retrieved 2013-06-29.