Ohio State University College of Engineering
|The Ohio State University
College Of Engineering
|Type||State University College of Engineering|
|Dean||David B. Williams|
|Academic staff||302 full-time engineering and architecture faculty members
13 National Academy of Engineering members
|Location||Columbus, Ohio, USA|
|Colors||Scarlet and Gray|
Ohio State's College of Engineering and Knowlton School of Architecture strive to foster a learning culture that prepares students to be key contributors to society through their technological, professional and personal skills. Our faculty and our students thrive in an environment of new ideas and concepts that expand the understanding of science, engineering and architecture.
In addition to being an innovative leader in engineering and architecture education, we endeavor to fulfill our university's land-grant mission of advancing Ohio's economic mobility, competitiveness and standard of living through our contributions toward technology and creativity, continuous improvement, a diverse workforce and lifelong learning. The College also is firmly committed to and a catalyst for the University's Discovery Themes: Energy and Environment; Food Production and Security; and Health and Wellness.
Engineering and architecture students can choose from academic programs in these departments:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Center for Aviation Studies
- Chemical and Bio-molecular Engineering
- Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Food, Agricultural and Biological Engineering
- Integrated Systems Engineering
- Knowlton School of Architecture
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Ohio State is committed to helping students complete their degrees. In 2013, Ohio State’s six-year graduation rate was 83.2%, up from 75% in 2009 and well above the national graduation rate of 57%.
Engineering and architecture
- bachelor’s degrees awarded (2012-2013): 1,294
- master’s degrees awarded (2012-2013): 490
- doctorate degrees awarded (2012-2013): 157
ACT composite mid-50% for incoming engineering students (2013): 27-31
The College of Engineering is creating new discoveries across a broad range of applications and scientific disciplines. In fiscal year 2012, this research was supported by more than $117M in externally-sponsored research expenditures.
Ohio State is #2 nationally among public universities in industry sponsored research. Industry R&D expenditures for the College of Engineering in fiscal year 2012 totaled $36.7 million.
More than 40 research centers and laboratories provide students with access to state-of-the-art facilities for research and teaching. The College of Engineering administers several research and interdisciplinary units, including:
- Aerospace Research Center - Center for Automotive Research - Center for Aviation Studies - Center for Electron Microscopy and Analysis - Center for Occupational Health in Automotive Manufacturing - ElectroScience Laboratory - Nuclear Reactor Laboratory - Ohio Manufacturing Institute - Spine Research Institute - Transportation Research Center - Center for Emergent Materials (NSF MRSEC) - Simulation Innovation and Modeling (SIM) Center - Water Resources Center (USGS)
- 302 full-time engineering and architecture faculty members
- 13 National Academy of Engineering members
Ohio State’s graduate and undergraduate engineering programs are both ranked 1st among all Ohio universities and 17th and 14th, respectively, among public universities according to U.S. News & World Report. The university as a whole ranks 14th in the country for research and development expenditures according to the National Science Foundation. Ohio State also ranks 9th in the nation among public universities in private support, which was more than $364 million for fiscal year 2012, when College of Engineering and Knowlton School of Architecture private support exceeded $32 million.
Notes or references
- Ohio State College of Engineering Official Website
- Official Twitter account for Ohio State College of Engineering
|This article relating to education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|