|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|Mol. mass||366.497 g/mol|
|(what is this?)|
Ohmefentanyl is one of the most potent μ -receptor agonists known, comparable to super-potent opioids such as carfentanil and etorphine which are used for tranquilizing large animals such as elephants in veterinary medicine. In mouse studies, the most active isomer 3R,4S,βS-ohmefentanyl was 28 times more powerful as a painkiller than fentanyl, the chemical from which it is derived, and 6300 times more effective than morphine. Ohmefentanyl has three stereogenic centers and so has eight stereoisomers, which are named F9201–F9208. Researchers are studying the different pharmaceutical properties of these isomers.
The 4"-fluoro analogue (i.e. substituted on the phenethyl ring) of the 3R,4S,βS isomer of ohmefentanyl is one of the most potent opioid agonists yet discovered, possessing an analgesic potency approximately 18,000-fold greater than morphine. Other analogues with potency higher than that of ohmefentanyl itself include the 2'-fluoro derivative (i.e. substituted on the aniline phenyl ring), and derivatives where the N-propionyl group was replaced by N-methoxyacetyl or 2-furamide groups, or a carboethoxy group is added to the 4-position of the piperidine ring. The latter is listed as being up to 30,000 times more potent than morphine.
- Brine, George A.; Stark, Peter A.; Liu, Young; Carrol, F. Ivy; Singh, P.; et al. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 1995 , vol. 38, #9 p. 1547 - 1557
- Guo, G. W.; He, Y.; Jin, W. Q.; Zou, Y.; Zhu, Y. C.; Chi, Z. Q. (2000). "Comparison of physical dependence of ohmefentanyl stereoisomers in mice". Life Sciences 67 (2): 113–120. doi:10.1016/S0024-3205(00)00617-2. PMID 10901279.
- Liu, Z.; He, Y.; Jin, W.; Chen, X.; Shen, Q.; Chi, Z. (2004). "Effect of chronic treatment of ohmefentanyl stereoisomers on cyclic AMP formation in Sf9 insect cells expressing human mu-opioid receptors". Life Sciences 74 (24): 3001–3008. doi:10.1016/j.lfs.2003.10.027. PMID 15051423.
- Yong, Z.; Hao, W.; Weifang, Y.; Qiyuan, D.; Xinjian, C.; Wenqiao, J.; Youcheng, Z. (2003). "Synthesis and analgesic activity of stereoisomers of cis-fluoro-ohmefentanyl". Die Pharmazie 58 (5): 300–302. PMID 12779044.
- Brine GA, Carroll FI, Richardson-Leibert TM, Xu H, Rothman RB. Ohmefentanyl and its stereoisomers: Chemistry and Pharmacology. Current Medicinal Chemistry. 1997; 4(4):247-270.