Oil pulling or oil swishing is a traditional Indian folk remedy that involves swishing oil in the mouth. It is mentioned in the Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita, where it is called Kavala Gandoosha or Kavala Graha. Ayurvedic literature describes oil pulling as capable of both improving oral health and treating systemic diseases such as diabetes mellitus or asthma. While scientific evidence is lacking to support any systemic benefits of oil pulling, some studies have suggested that it may reduce oral plaque, halitosis, and gingivitis.
The practitioner rinses the mouth with approximately one tablespoon of oil (sesame and sunflower oils are the most recommended) for 15–20 minutes on an empty stomach (before eating/drinking) then spits it out and washes the teeth, gums, tongue (softly) and palate thoroughly.
- Singh A, Purohit B (April 2011). "Tooth brushing, oil pulling and tissue regeneration: A review of holistic approaches to oral health". J Ayurveda Integr Med 2 (2): 64–8. doi:10.4103/0975-9476.82525. PMC 3131773. PMID 21760690.
- Asokan S, Rathan J, Muthu MS, Rathna PV, Emmadi P (March 2008). "Effect of oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans count in plaque and saliva using Dentocult SM Strip mutans test: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study". J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 26 (1): 12–7. PMID 18408265.
- Asokan S, Rathinasamy TK, Inbamani N, Menon T, Kumar SS, Emmadi P, Raghuraman R (2011). "Mechanism of oil-pulling therapy - in vitro study". Indian J Dent Res 22 (1): 34–7. doi:10.4103/0970-9290.79971. PMID 21525674.
- Asokan S, Emmadi P, Chamundeswari R (2009). "Effect of oil pulling on plaque induced gingivitis: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study". Indian J Dent Res 20 (1): 47–51. PMID 19336860.
- Asokan S, Kumar RS, Emmadi P, Raghuraman R, Sivakumar N (2011). "Effect of oil pulling on halitosis and microorganisms causing halitosis: a randomized controlled pilot trial". J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 29 (2): 90–4. doi:10.4103/0970-4388.84678. PMID 21911944.
- "The economics of success". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 22 January 2006.