|• Total||102.85 km2 (39.71 sq mi)|
|• Land||101.75 km2 (39.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.10 km2 (0.42 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2007)|
|• Density||175/km2 (450/sq mi)|
|Source: CBS, Statline.|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Oirschot (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈoːrsχɔt] ] ( ); dialect: Orskot) is a municipality and a town in the southern Netherlands. It is situated 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from the city of Eindhoven and 20 kilometres (12 mi) from the city of Tilburg in the province Noord-Brabant (North-Brabant). The municipality has 17,841 inhabitants (1 January 2007).
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Oirschot, 2013.
There are more than 300 monuments in the municipality Oirschot. Some of the monuments are:
- The Roman Catholic Church named Sint-Petrus’-Bandenkerk. This 15th- and 16th-century church is the biggest building in the town of Oirschot and the tower of the church is 73 meters high.
- The old town hall build in 1513 in the centre of town (Oirschot)
- Maria-church (Maria-kerk). A 12th-century church in the centre of the town of Oirschot.
- Monastery Nazareth (Klooster Nazareth) with a chapel in Neoroman style (1910).
- Former Brewery De Kroon (Brouwerij de Kroon) built in 1773
- Hof van Solms, palace of Arnoldus Feij (or Arnold Fey)
- The Big Chair (De Grote Stoel) the biggest chair of Europe.
- Huize Groenenberg, a very fine house built in 1613.
- Chapel of the Holy Oak (Kapel van de Heilige Eik), stone chapel dated 1606 (earlier there was a wooden chapel at the same place).
- Zinderend Oirschot ( Het nieuwe jazz weekend, met meer dan alleen jazz )
- Countery & Western weekend
There are many more festivals in Oirschot every year.
The municipal elections on 6 March 2006 resulted in the following make-up of the City Council (17 seats in total):
- Dorpsvisie (local party): 4 seats
- CDA: 4 seats
- PvdA: 4 seats
- De Gewone Man (local party): 3 seats
- VVD: 2 seats
The mayor of the municipality Oirschot is named Ruud Severijns. He is member of the political party PvdA.
Not in the City Council but very active in Oirschot is the Socialistische Partij (SP).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oirschot.|
|Reusel-De Mierden||Bladel, Eersel||Eindhoven|
|This North Brabant location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|