Okeford Fitzpaine, looking towards the parish church
Okeford Fitzpaine shown within Dorset
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Okeford Fitzpaine / / is a village and civil parish in the English county of Dorset, situated in the Blackmore Vale 3 miles (4.8 km) south of the town of Sturminster Newton in the North Dorset administrative district. It is sited on a thin strip of greensand under the scarp face of the Dorset Downs. In the 2011 census the civil parish—which includes the hamlet of Belchalwell to the west and most of Fiddleford to the north—had 404 dwellings, 380 households and a population of 913.
In 1086 in the Domesday Book Okeford Fitzpaine was recorded as Adford; it had 40 households, 16 ploughlands, 21 acres (8.5 ha) of meadow and 1 mill. It was in Sturminster Newton Hundred and the tenant-in-chief was Glastonbury Abbey. Since then it has been known as "Aukford Alured" and "Ockford Phippin", the latter echoing the modern colloquial "Fippenny Ockford" and its shorthand, "Ockford".
Within the parish are about 55 listed houses, a green listed telephone box, and a tiny museum exhibiting the village's own early 19th-century fire engine and the World War II air-raid siren issued to the village post office. There is a small school, a public house and a village shop.
- Ralph Wightman (1983). Portrait of Dorset (4 ed.). Robert Hale Ltd. p. 136. ISBN 0 7090 0844 9.
- "Area: Okeford Fitzpaine (Parish). Dwellings, Household Spaces and Accommodation Type, 2011 (KS401EW)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Area: Okeford Fitzpaine (Parish), Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Dorset H-R". The Domesday Book Online. domesdaybook.co.uk. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Place: Okeford [Fitzpaine]". Open Domesday. domesdaymap.co.uk. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Roland Gant (1980). Dorset Villages. Robert Hale Ltd. p. 50. ISBN 0 7091 8135 3.
- Search on Okeford Fitzpaine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Okeford Fitzpaine.|
|This Dorset location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|