The Okinawa Islands (沖縄諸島 Okinawa Shotō?) are an island group in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan, and are the principal island group of the prefecture. The Okinawa Islands are part of the larger Ryukyu Islands group, and are located between the Amami Islands of Kagoshima Prefecture to the northeast and the Sakishima Islands of Okinawa Prefecture to the southwest.
The Okinawa Islands are the political, cultural and population center of Okinawa Prefecture. The prefectural capital of Naha is within the island group. 90% of the population of the prefecture reside within the Okinawa Islands, primarily on the largest island of the group, Okinawa Island. Access to the various Okinawa Islands is primarily via small airports which connect to Naha Airport. Additionally, the islands are connected via ferry service to the Port of Naha in the prefectural capital.
The Okinawa Islands are within the subtropical climate zone, which supports the production of sugarcane, pineapples and cut flowers. The military bases of the United States in Okinawa Prefecture are located on the Okinawa Islands.
- Okinawa Islands
- Okinawa Island (aka Okinawa Hontō)
- Iheya-Izena Islands: Iheyajima, Izenajima
- Kerama Islands: Tokashikijima, Zamamijima, Akajima, Gerumajima
- Yokatsu Islands: Yabuchi Island, Henza Island, Miyagi Island, Ikei Island, Hamahiga Island, Tsuken Island, Ukibara Island, Minamiukibara Island
- "沖縄諸島" [Okinawa Islands]. Nihon Daihyakka Zensho (Nipponika) (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2013. OCLC 153301537. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- "沖縄諸島" [Okinawa Islands]. Dijitaru Daijisen (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2013. OCLC 56431036. Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- "Okinawa Islands". Encyclopedia of Japan. Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2013. OCLC 56431036. Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- "伊平屋伊是名諸島" [Iheya-Izena Islands]. Nihon Daihyakka Zensho (Nipponika) (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2013. OCLC 153301537. Retrieved 2013-01-14.
|This Okinawa Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|