Oklahoma State Highway 128
|Maintained by ODOT|
|Length:||9.81 mi (15.79 km)|
|Existed:||ca. 1956 – present|
|West end:||US-59 / US-270 in Heavener|
|East end:||Hwy. 28 at the Arkansas state line|
State Highway 128 (abbreviated SH-128) is a 9.81-mile (15.79 km) state highway in Le Flore County, Oklahoma. It connects U.S. Highway 59 in Heavener to the Arkansas state line, where it becomes Arkansas Highway 28. It has no lettered spur routes.
SH-128 was first added to the state highway system circa 1956. It has been realigned once, to better match up with roads across the Arkansas line.
State Highway 128 begins at US-59/US-270 in Heavener. From the terminus south of downtown, the highway follows West Avenue I to East 1st Street, where it turns south, running parallel to US-59/US-270. Highway 128 then curves east and exits Heavener. For the remainder of its route, SH-128 runs mostly parallel to a spur from the Kansas City Southern rail line; the road crosses the tracks once, just east of the Heavener city limit. SH-128 follows the valley of the Poteau River through east-central Le Flore County, running between the river and Poteau Mountain. At the highway's approximate midpoint, the route passes through unincorporated Forrester. From here, SH-128 follows a generally east-northeast heading before crossing the state line into Scott County, Arkansas. The road continues east toward Bates as Arkansas Highway 28.
State Highway 128 first appears on the 1957 edition of the official Oklahoma state highway map. The route has always been a paved highway. Initially, it did not connect to Highway 28 upon crossing the Arkansas state line. The route was realigned to directly connect to Highway 28 by 1961. No further changes have occurred to the highway since that time.
|Le Flore||Heavener||0.00||0.00||US-59 / US-270||Western terminus|
|Oklahoma–Arkansas state line||9.81||15.79||Hwy. 28 continues east into Arkansas|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Oklahoma Department of Transportation (2010-01-01) (PDF). Control Section Maps – Le Flore County (Map). Cartography by ODOT (2010–2011 ed.). http://www.odot.org/hqdiv/p-r-div/maps/control-maps/leflore.pdf. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Google Inc. "Oklahoma State Highway 128". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Heavener,+OK&hl=en&ll=34.877763,-94.549026&spn=0.130968,0.220757&sll=36.436199,-95.383987&sspn=0.016055,0.027595&oq=heavener&hnear=Heavener,+Le+Flore,+Oklahoma&t=m&z=12. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
- Oklahoma Department of Transportation. Official State Map (Map) (2011–12 ed.). http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/maps/state/2011/map_state_2011.pdf. Retrieved January 13, 2013.
- DeLorme (2006). Oklahoma Atlas and Gazetteer (Map). 1:200,000.
- Oklahoma Department of Highways. Oklahoma's Highways 1957 (Map). http://www.odot.org/hqdiv/p-r-div/maps/state-maps/pdfs/1957.pdf. Retrieved January 14, 2013.
- Oklahoma Department of Highways. Oklahoma 1961 Road Map (Map). http://www.odot.org/hqdiv/p-r-div/maps/state-maps/pdfs/1961.pdf. Retrieved January 14, 2013.