|Okon Edet Uya|
|Chairman of the National Electoral Commission of Nigeria|
1993 – 19 November 1993
|Preceded by||Humphrey Nwosu|
|Succeeded by||Sumner Dagogo-Jack|
Professor Okon Edet Uya was briefly chairman of the National Electoral Commission of Nigeria (NECON), appointed by President Ibrahim Babangida after the presidential elections of 12 June 1993 had been annulled and his predecessor Humphrey Nwosu dismissed.
Uya was of Oron origins. He was Nigeria's Ambassador to Argentina, Peru, Paraguay and Chile for six years. A professor of history at the University of Calabar, Uya was appointed to conduct a new presidential poll after the annulment of the 12 June 1993 election. The National Republican Convention and Social Democratic Party were asked to present new candidates for the new presidential poll with a target of new elections by March 1994. But in the confusion that followed the annulment crisis Uya was not able to conduct the election before he was removed when General Sani Abacha assumed power. He later became Deputy Vice Chancellor and acting Vice Chancellor of the University of Calabar.
- Okon Edet Uya (1969). From servitude to service: Robert Smalls, 1839-1915. University of Wisconsin--Madison. p. 568.
- Okon Edet Uya (1971). From slavery to public service: Robert Smalls, 1839-1915. Oxford University Press. p. 178.
- Okon Edet Uya (1984). A history of Oron people of the lower Cross River basin. Manson Pub. Co. p. 193. ISBN 978-2451-00-2.
- Okon Uya (1992). The African Diaspora and the Black Experience in New World Slavery. Okpaku Communications Corp. ISBN 0-89388-224-0.
- Sunday W. Petters, Edet R. Iwok, Okon Edet Uya (1994). Akwa Ibom State: the land of promise : a compendium. Gabumo Pub. Co. p. 377. ISBN 978-010-216-7.
- Okon Edet Uya, University of Calabar. Institute of Public Policy and Administration (2000). Civil society and the consolidation of democracy in Nigeria. CATS Pub. p. 465.
- Okon Edet Uya, University of Calabar. Institute of Public Policy and Administration (2004). Education for sustainable democracy: the Nigerian experience. IPPA, University of Calabar. p. 625.
- Okon Edet Uya, Sunday W. Petters (2004). Knowledge for service: the University of Calabar, 1975-2002. University of Calabar Press. p. 396. ISBN 978-007-130-X.
- Okon Edet Uya (2005). The efik and their neighbours: historical perspectives. Cats Publishers & Clear Lines Publications. p. 276.
- Imam Imam (9 June 2010). "Past INEC Chairmen". ThisDay. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- Reuben Abati (April 20, 2003). "Guobadia And A Wounded Nation". THE GUARDIAN. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- "How Abacha's coup devastated me, Prof. Okon Uya, former NEC Chairman". Online Nigeria Daily News. August 4, 2005. Retrieved 2010-06-10.