Life and career
His father, Nüzhet Haşim Sinanoğlu, was a consular official under the Consul General Atıf Kor in the Bari Consulate of Turkey and a writer. He wrote a book on Greek and Roman Mythology and another one titled "Petrarca", published in 1931, stating in its preface: "The best way (for Turkey) is adopting the Western culture."
Sinanoğlu's father was recalled to Turkey in July 1938, so the family returned to Turkey before the beginning of the World War II. Oktay Sinanoğlu graduated from TED Ankara Koleji in 1953. He studied in University of California, Berkeley and graduated with honors in 1956. Next year he completed his MSc at MIT and was awarded Sloan Fellowship. He completed his predoctoral fellowship (1958-1959) and "doctorate" (1959-1960) at University of California, Berkeley. He was appointed as full professor of chemistry effective July 1, 1963 in Yale University. He was given the title "visiting-professor" (1962) and "consulting-professor (1964) by the Middle East Technical University. He founded the Theorical Chemistry Division of the university (1964).
A book in which he was interviewed about his life and works, under the name The Turkish Einstein, Oktay Sinanoglu (Turkish: Türk Aynştaynı Oktay Sinanoğlu Kitabı) was edited by Turkish writer Emine Çaykara and published in 2001 in Turkey.
- Many Electron Theory of Atoms and Molecules (1961)
- Solvophobic Theory (1964)
- Network Theory (1974)
- Microthermodynamics (1981)
- Valency Interaction Formula Theory (1983) 
- Resmi Gazete, 17 Kanunuevvel 1933, no: 2580 and Resmi Gazete, 24 Mayis 1937, Hariciye Vekaleti Kararnamesi
- Nüzhet Haşim Sinanoğlu, "Petrarca", Köy Hocası Matbaası, Ankara 1931. Page 12. "en yanılmaz usul, garp kültürünün köklerini tetkik etmek, o kültürü benimsemektir. Ankara, 2.VIII. 1931 N. Haşim Sinanoğlu"
- T.C. Resmi Gazete 19.7.1938 p.1 Hariciye Kararnamesi (Decree of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs): "9. degree consular employee Nüzhet Haşim Sinanoğlu appointed to the capital (Ankara) with same degree. Sign: K. Ataturk 11 July 1938." (Dokuzuncu dereceden memur Nüzhet Haşim Sinanoğlu, derecesiyle merkeze... İmza: K. Atatürk, 11 Temmuz 1938."
- Yale Daily News, no. 139, May 22, 1963
- From the back cover of this book: "Prof. Oktay Sinanoğlu's life is told from his own mouth by questions and answers in this book." ("Prof. Oktay Sinanoğlu'nun yaşamının kendi ağzından soru cevaplar eşliğinde anlatıldığı Türk Aynştaynı kitabında..."
- Personal page (Turkish)
|This article about a Turkish scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|