||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|Birth name||Ola Nils Håkan Svensson|
|Also known as||Ola|
23 February 1986 |
Lund, Skåne, Sweden
|Years active||2005 – present|
Europe - Sony Music
|Associated acts||Alexander Kronlund
Ola Nils Håkan Svensson born 23 February 1986 in Lund, Skåne, professionally known simply as Ola, is a Swedish artist and songwriter. His career began on Swedish Idol in 2005 however since coming 8th, Ola has since released three albums and 11 singles. Eight of his releases have reached number one on the Swedish album and single charts, and many have sold both gold and platinum. Six of Ola's singles have been top 5 on the Swedish airplay charts.
2012 began with Ola's first promotional tour of the US to support the release of "All Over The World". Whilst there, he also found the time to shoot the video for his single "I'm In Love", the first to be taken from his upcoming fourth studio album. The single was co-written by Ola and some others, alongside one of the more successful songwriters and producers in the world, Shellback, who has also written and produced for artists such as, One Direction, Pink and Usher.
Single "Maybe" was released in Sweden on 16 August 2013.
Most recent single "Jackie Kennedy" was released in Italy on 3 September 2013.
Ola was born to Swedish parents, but has two adopted brothers from El Salvador, Jonas and Daniel. His second single Brothers deals with his relationship with his brothers. From the age of 5, Ola has played piano, and a strong musical influence came from his grandfather who died when Ola was 8. After he died, Ola decided to sing in a boys choir in memory of his grandfather.
For a long time before Idol, football (soccer) was his life and before devoting his life to music, Ola played for a long time for Trelleborgs FF before moving to the first division team Vasalund IF. Ola's mind was changed after he auditioned for the school musical and secured the lead role. Ola was then pressured by his friends to try out at the Idol auditions when they were in Lund.
Despite only coming eighth in Idol in 2005, a record deal was soon signed with producer Jonas Saeed, and his debut album Given to Fly soared straight to number one in the Swedish album chart. His first single Rain was decided by poll on his website, and won with 60% of the votes.
In Autumn 2009 Ola participated in Körslaget, with his male choir Team Ola from hometown Lund. Ola's choir won the competition and donated 500,000 Swedish kronor (£48,960) to refugee charity Tamam.
In early 2010, Ola took part in Melodifestivalen with the song "Unstoppable", written together with Dimitri Stassos, Alexander Kronlund and Hanif Sabzevar. Ola sang first in the first heat, and qualified through to the final, held in Globen on 13 March 2010. Ola finished 7th in the final, with 47 points, However he received the most points from the international jury.
In June 2010, Ola bought himself out of his universal contract and started his own record company, Oliniho Records. During 2011 his company signed several international deals, amongst them, Europe, the US and UK. He is currently releasing music in mainland Europe with Sony Music.
In 2010, Ola collaborated with the UK artist Labrinth on "Let It Hit You", which is track 9 on Ola's third studio album. It was around this time that Ola felt he wanted to move in a different direction musically from his Swedish label, Universal. He released this album under his own label, Oliniho Records, and received positive feedback.
The first UK single, "All Over The World", received much attention, becoming the most played video on 4 Music and The Box and being championed by Scott Mills on BBC Radio One. In the US it has entered the Hot Dance Airplay Chart and the Billboard Dance Chart. Ola also received attention from popular blogger Perez Hilton, who called the song "sweet sweet europop deliciousness".
In November 2011, Ola travelled to New York to film his music video to "All Over The World".
In March 2012, Ola embarked on his first promo tour of the United States, promoting the single "All Over The World" in places such as California and New York. During this time, he also shot the video to his single "I'm In Love" in Los Angeles.
Since late 2012, Ola has been touring the world with his hit single "All Over The World", which did notably well in the UK, South Africa, Germany, Russia and Lebanon.
The song then sold gold in Italy and Ola began an Italian tour.
Ola released his single "Maybe" on 16 August 2013 in Sweden.
Most recent single "Jackie Kennedy" is taken from upcoming album "Carelessly Yours" which will also be released with Oliniho Records.
Television and radio
Since 2006 Ola has performed regularly and given interviews on Swedish television shows such as Gomorron Sverige, Förkväll, Vakna! Med The Voice, Sommarkrysset, Faddergalan, Celebration of the National Day, Bobster, and the morning shows on SVT1 and TV4, amongst others. Outside of Sweden, he has also taken part in the Polish "Sopot Festival" and "Hity Na Czasie" in August 2009 with the hit song, "S.O.S". Ola has also performed acoustic versions of his singles on radio stations such as RixFM, NRJ, Sveriges Radio and Mix Megapol. He has also performed on televised concerts outside of Sweden such as Europa Live in Russia in 2013.
In June 2010, Ola released an EP on iTunes Sweden which featured the single "Overdrive", two new tracks from the upcoming album "All Over The World" and "Still Remember", and a remix of his previous single "Unstoppable".
His third album Ola was released in Sweden on 15 September 2010, and was the first album to be released on Oliniho Records.
In August 2011, Ola released "All Over The World" in South Africa via David Gresham Records. In October 2011, the album was released in the US via Ultra Records, and in the UK via 3Beat and All Around The World. In April 2013, Ola released a new single, "I'm in love".
|2006||Given to Fly||1|
|2008||Good Enough - The Feelgood Edition||2|
|"Rain"||2006||1||—||—||—||—||Given to Fly|
|"Love in Stereo"||2008||2||—||—||—||—||
||Good Enough - The Feelgood Edition|
|"Sky's the Limit"||2009||1||—||—||—||—||
|"Unstoppable (The Return of Natalie)"||2010||1||94||—||—||—||
|"All Over the World"||3||52||—||—||—||
|"I'm in Love"||2012||—||11||60||45||4||TBA|
|"—" denotes singles that did not chart or were not released|
|2007||"Du är musiken i mig"
(Molly Sandén and Ola)
|21||From High School Musical 2
Swedish version of
"You Are the Music in Me"
(Ola, Mohammed Ali and Endre Nordvik)
|—||From Camp Rock 2
Scandinavian version of
|"—" denotes singles that did not chart or were not released|
- "All over The World". Greshamrecords.co.za. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Ola discography". swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Turkish Charts - Ola - Songs". yeniyabancisarkilar.net. Hung Medien. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "Austrian Charts - Ola - Songs" (in German). Austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Single - Ola, I'm In Love" (in German). Media Control Charts. Charts.de. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Italian Charts - Ola - Songs". Italiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Guld & Platina - År 2007" (PDF) (in Swedish). Swedish Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on 16 February 2012.
- "Guld & Platina - År 2008" (PDF) (in Swedish). Swedish Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on 16 February 2012.
- "Guld & Platina - År 2010" (PDF) (in Swedish). Swedish Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on 16 February 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Ola - Unstoppable (The Return of Natalie)". Hitlistan.se. Sverigetopplistan. Archived from the original on 31 August 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Ola - Overdrive". Hitlistan.se. Sverigetopplistan. Archived from the original on 31 August 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Ola - All Over the World". Hitlistan.se. Sverigetopplistan. Archived from the original on 31 August 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Italian single certifications – Ola – I'm in Love" (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Retrieved 26 August 2013. Select Online in the field Scegli la sezione. Select Week -- and Year ----. Enter Ola in the field Artista. Click Avvia la ricerca
- "Ola: dopo I'm in love arriva la nuova Jackie Kennedy" (in Italian). Rockol.it. 2 September 2013. Archived from the original on 2 September 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2013.