|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (September 2014)|
|Slogan||Because newer is not always better|
|Type of site||Freeware/shareware archive of old software versions|
|Registration||Optional (to post on forum).|
|Created by||Alex Levine, Igor Dolgalev|
|Launched||May 31, 2001|
|Alexa rank||42,028 (November 2014[update])|
OldVersion.com is an archive website that stores and distributes older versions of primarily Internet-related PC and Macintosh freeware and shareware application software. Alex Levine and Igor Dolgalev founded the site in 2001.
Levine created the site because "Companies make a lot of new versions. They're not always better for the consumer." As reported in the Wall Street Journal, " 'Users often try to downgrade when they find confusing changes in a new version or encounter software bugs, or just decide they want to go back to a more familiar version,' said David Smith, an analyst at research firm Gartner. 'Often, they discover that the downgrade process is complicated, if not impossible.' "
When OldVersion.com was launched it offered 80 versions of 14 programs. By 2005 over 500 versions were posted. By 28 August 2007 this had grown to 2388 versions of 179 programs, in categories such as "graphics", "file-sharing", "security" and "enterprise". The site also carries 600+ versions of 35 Macintosh programs.
- Oldversion.com Whois record. godaddy.com. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- "Oldversion.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-11-18.
- Pamela LiCalzi O'Connell (2001-11-08). "Online Diary - Oldies but Goodies". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- Andrew Lavallee (2006-03-07). "Unhappy Upgrades: Software Users Seek Help 'Downgrading' Their PCs". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Andy Rathbone (2005-12-23). PCs: The Missing Manual. Pogue Press. p. 536. ISBN 0-596-10093-0. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- "Oldversion.com as of 2007-08-28". oldversion.com. Archived from the original on 2007-08-28. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- Jennifer L. DeLeo (2008-10-20). "Old Software Versions We Want Back". PC Magazine. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- Mac.OldVersion.com website mac.oldversion.com. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- Preston Gralla (2007-09-30). "Before They Spoiled the Software". PC World. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Rami Genauer (2005-03-28). "Older Is Better: Software conservatives have a home in Oldversion.com". National Review. Retrieved 2008-01-31.