Old Fashioned Love
|Old Fashioned Love|
|Studio album by John Fahey|
|Recorded||Blue Rock Studio, New York City and United/Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA|
|John Fahey chronology|
In a similar manner as his previous Reprise releases with accompanists, Old Fashioned Love did not sell well. For his part, Fahey remarked that he had never worked with such sympathetic, understanding musicians as he did on this release.
Woody Mann plays duets with Fahey on "In a Persian Market", "Jaya Shiva Shankarah", and "Marilyn". Guitarist Stefan Grossman responded to "The Assassination of Stephan [sic] Grossman" with his own composition, "The Assassination of John Fahey" on his album Thunder on the Run.
|Pitchfork||(8.4 of 10) |
In his Allmusic review, Richard Foss states that Old Fashioned Love "is a wonderful release, a celebration of early 20th century musical styles. Every track is played with charm and wit, from the solo guitar pieces to the full orchestral works" and then later notes that it "was acclaimed by many critics but was rejected by the folk crowd that Fahey himself was coming to detest." Critic Andy Beta called it "a consistently surprising collection of Fahey's many loves" and singled out the final track for special praise as "one of his truly magical works".
- Old Fashioned Love was reissued on CD by both Takoma and Shanachie Records.
- "In a Persian Market" (Albert Ketèlbey) – 7:46
- "Jaya Shiva Shankara" (Traditional) – 5:02
- "Marilyn" (Fahey) – 6:36
- "The Assassination of Stephan Grossman" (Fahey) – 2:15
- "Old Fashioned Love" (Frank Loesser, Fritz Miller) – 3:34
- "Boodle Am Shake" (Jack Palmer, Spencer Williams) – 3:20
- "Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burning" (Fred McDowell) – 3:08
- "Dry Bones in the Valley" (Fahey) – 7:51
- John Fahey – guitar
- Bobby Bruce – violin
- Dick Cary – piano
- Joe Darensbourg – clarinet
- Nick Fatool – drums
- Woody Mann – guitar ("In a Persian Market", "Jaya Shiva Shankarah", "Marilyn")
- Allen Reuss – guitar, banjo
- John Rotella – saxophone
- Ian Westley – tuba
- Britt Woodman – trombone
- Jack Feierman – trumpet, vocals
- Doug Decker – producer, mixing
- John Fahey – producer, arrangements
- Jack Feierman – arrangements
- Joe Tarantino – remastering
- Sam Charters – reissue liner notes
- John Ayres – photography
- Josephine Ayres – photography
- Foss, Richard. Old Fashioned Love at AllMusic. Retrieved March 15, 2009.
- Loesser, Arthur. "My Brother Frank". JSTOR. Retrieved April 7, 2010.
- Beta, Andy. "Old Fashioned Love > Review". Pitchfork. Retrieved March 15, 2009.
- Scaruffi, Piero (1999). "John Fahey". pieroscaruffi.com. Retrieved August 15, 2013.