Old Hilltown, California
|Elevation||46 ft (14 m)|
Old Hilltown (formerly, Hill Town) is an unincorporated community in Monterey County, California. It is located on the north side of the Salinas River 3 miles (4.8 km) south-southwest of Salinas, at an elevation of 46 feet (14 m).
The first European land exploration of Alta California, the Spanish Portolà expedition, camped on the Salinas River in this vicinity on September 30, 1769, having followed the river from the south for several days. From this camp, the scouts went out to survey the route ahead and saw Monterey Bay for the first time. Unsure whether the point they could see at the southern end of the bay was the "Point of Pines" described by Sebastian Vizcaino in 1602, Portola decided that the party should investigate.
Hill Town was established at a ford of the Salinas River called Paso del Quinto. Hill Town was the site of one of the first ferries on the Salinas River. The ferry operated until 1889 when a bridge was built across the river. The site is now registered as California Historical Landmark #560.
At the county level, Old Hilltown is represented on the Monterey County Board of Supervisors by Supervisor Dave Potter . In the California State Assembly, Old Hilltown is represented by Bill Monning as part of the 27th Assembly district. In the State Senate, Old Hilltown is represented by Sam Blakeslee as part of the 15th State Senate district. In the U.S. House of Representatives, Old Hilltown is part of California's 17th congressional district, represented by Sam Farr.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Old Hilltown, California
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. p. 931. ISBN 1-884995-14-4.
- Bolton, Herbert E. (1927). Fray Juan Crespi: Missionary Explorer on the Pacific Coast, 1769-1774. HathiTrust Digital Library. pp. 200–202. Retrieved April 2014.
- "Hill Town ferry". Office of Historic Preservation, California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "Monterey County Supervisorial District 5 Map (North District 5)". County of Monterey. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Bill Monning - Biography". Bill Monning, California State Assemblyman, 27th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "District Map". Sam Blakeslee, California State Senator, 15th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "The 17th District: About the 17th District of California". Sam Farr, United States Congressman, California's 17th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
|This Monterey County, California-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|