Old Man Gloom
|Old Man Gloom|
|Origin||Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
|Associated acts||Isis, Zozobra, Cave In, Converge|
Old Man Gloom is a sludge/doom metal/post-metal band originally formed in Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States, but now based in Massachusetts. The group, formed by Aaron Turner of Isis and Santos Montano, has now expanded to become a sort of supergroup in the Boston hardcore and metalcore scene. The group is less a band than it is a recording project for a variety of talent. By the release of their first album (Meditations in B), Old Man Gloom expanded to include two new members.
In 2001, a year after the release of Meditations in B, the band released two albums simultaneously: Seminar II and Seminar III. For these records, Luke Scarola joined to use electronics. On Seminar II, Stephen Brodsky of Cave In wrote the lyrics for one song, and Jay Randall of Agoraphobic Nosebleed contributed on electronics. On August 24, 2004, Christmas was released. In 2011, Old Man Gloom recorded NO with Kurt Ballou and released the album on June 26, 2012. In 2012, Old Man Gloom began playing live performances again, after an extended period of inactivity.
- Meditations in B (1999, Tortuga Recordings)
- Seminar II: The Holy Rites of Primitivism Regressionism (2001, Tortuga Recordings)
- Seminar III: Zozobra (2001, Tortuga Recordings)
- Christmas Eve I and II + 6 (2003, Tortuga Recordings)
- Christmas (2004, Tortuga Recordings)
- No (2012, Hydra Head Records)
- Aaron Turner – guitar, vocals (Isis, Mamiffer)
- Nate Newton – guitar, vocals (Converge, Doomriders)
- Caleb Scofield – bass guitar, vocals (Cave In, Zozobra)
- Santos Montano – drums
- Luke Scarola - Electronics
- Turney, Danielle (May 1, 2012). "Old Man Gloom ends eight-year hiatus with an emphatic NO". Alarm. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Adams, Gregory (May 1, 2012). "Old Man Gloom Return with 'NO'". Exclaim!. Retrieved May 1, 2012.