Old Seminole Heights
|Old Seminole Heights|
Seminole Heights Garden Center in Old Seminole Heights
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||33603, 33604, and 33610|
Old Seminole Heights is a neighborhood within the city limits of Tampa, in the U.S. state of Florida. The neighborhood is one of three which comprise the greater Seminole Heights district within the city. As of the 2010 census the neighborhood had a population of 14,729. The ZIP Codes serving the area are 33603, 33604, and 33610.
Old Seminole Heights' boundaries are Live Oaks Square to the east, Hillsborough River to the west and north, Sulphur Springs to the north, and Hillsborough Avenue to the south, with the exception of the area between Florida Avenue and I-275, where a rectangular section extends the southern boundary south of Hillsborough Avenue to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
The neighborhood is located in the northern edge of the area within Tampa known as Seminole Heights. Old Seminole Heights is the largest of the three distinct city of Tampa neighborhoods within the Seminole Heights district, the other two being South Seminole Heights and Southeast Seminole Heights.
Prominent neighborhood landmarks within Old Seminole Heights include Hillsborough High School, Memorial Middle School, Seminole Heights Elementary School, Seminole Heights United Methodist Church, St. Paul's Lutheran Church, and the Seminole Heights Garden Center, a city of Tampa park.
Source: Hillsborough Community Atlas
As of the census of 2010, there were 14,729 people and 6,199 households residing in the neighborhood. The population density was 4,185/mi². The racial makeup of the neighborhood was 69% White, 22% African American, 1% Native American, 1% Asian, 4% from other races, and 3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were about 22% of the population.
There were 6,199 households out of which 23% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 33% were married couples living together, 17% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13% non-families. 31% of all households were made up of individuals.
In the neighborhood the population was spread out with 22% under the age of 18, 24% from 18 to 34, 24% from 35 to 49, 20% from 50 to 64, and 10% who were 65 years of age or older. For every 100 females there were 95.6 males.
Old Seminole Heights contains two areas designated as U.S. Historic Districts and listed with the National Register of Historic Places. They are the Seminole Heights Residential District and Hampton Terrace Historic District.
- Seminole Heights
- Neighborhoods in Tampa, Florida
- Seminole Heights Residential District
- Hampton Terrace Historic District
- Hillsborough Community Atlas : Old Seminole Heights Civic Association : General Information
- Hillsborough Community Atlas
- "Neighborhood Registry", February 13, 2010. TampaGov. Retrieved February 13, 2010.
- Steele, Kathy. (April 24, 2010) "Garden center returns to its original roots". The Tampa Tribune Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Florida - Hillsborough County - - Historic Districts" National Register of Historic Places. Retrieved February 13, 2010.
- "Historic Preservation and Urban Design". TampaGov. Retrieved February 13, 2010.
- Old Seminole Heights Neighborhood Association official site
- Old Seminole Heights Neighborhood Association at Hillsborough Community Atlas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Old Seminole Heights, Tampa.|