Old Street Roundabout
Old Street Roundabout is a roundabout located on the boundary of the London Borough of Hackney and the London Borough of Islington. It is an interchange system at the junction of Old Street and City Road. It is sometimes known as St. Agnes Well after the shopping centre beneath it, while the area surrounding the roundabout is often colloquially known as Silicon Roundabout, owing to the prominence of British web-based companies there.
City Road heads south from the roundabout towards the City of London and Moorgate and Liverpool Street stations. It also diverts north west via City Road towards Angel, King's Cross, St. Pancras and Euston. Old Street also heads north via New North Road towards Canonbury, Highbury Corner and Holloway Road. The roundabout, the northwestern part of City Road and Great Eastern Street form the boundary of the London congestion charge zone (CCZ).
St. Agnes Well
The shopping complex in the underpass at the centre of the roundabout is named St. Agnes Well, after an ancient well thought to have been located about 200 metres to the east, at the junction of Old Street and Great Eastern Street.
Old Street station
Old Street roundabout has become somewhat notorious for cycling accidents. According to the London Cycling Campaign, the junction is among the top three in London for accidents involving cyclists. Within a few days in February 2011 two cyclists were severely injured in collisions involving lorries on or very close to the roundabout. In another collision involving a lorry in 2008 a cyclist suffered severe leg injuries, which the police described as "potentially life-changing".
- London's Holy Wells
- Bradshaw, Tim (July 29, 2008). "silicon-roundabout-is-this-the-heart-of-the-uks-new-dotcom-boom". Financial Times blog. Retrieved 2009-07-10.
- "Silicon Roundabout". The Economist. November 27, 2010. pp. 63–64.
- Prigg, Mark (July 30, 2008). "Roundabout is London's Answer to Silicon Valley". Evening Standard. Retrieved 2009-07-10.
- Coleman, Jasmine (04.03.2011). "Safety concerns for cyclists on Old Street roundabout following crash". Hackney Gazette. Retrieved 25.03.2011.
- Coleman, Jasmine (24.02.2011). "Old Street crash: woman cyclist critically ill". Hackney Gazette. Retrieved 25.03.2011.
- Marshall, Tom (16.02.2011). "Cyclist injured in City Road crash". Islington Gazette. Retrieved 25.03.2011.
- "Old Street roundabout accident: "Life-changing injury"". Retrieved 25.03.2011.