|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
Old Swan shown within Merseyside
|Population||15,772 (Estimate by Merseyfire)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
|UK Parliament||Liverpool Wavertree|
Old Swan is an inner-city area of Liverpool, Merseyside, England and a Liverpool City Council Ward. It is located fairly centrally in the city, bordered by Knotty Ash, Stoneycroft, Broadgreen, Fairfield and Wavertree. At the 2001 Census, the population of Old Swan was 12,938 (5,999 males, 6,939 females).
Old Swan is centred on the road junction between Prescot Road, running east to west, Derby Lane (from the north) St Oswald Street (from the south) and Broadgreen Road (from the south-east). It is named after a public house called the "Three Swans", which served the pack-horse route along Prescot Lane (now Prescot Road) during the 18th century. The name was derived from the coat of arms of local landowners, the Walton family. The inn stood at the corner of Prescot Lane and Pettycoat Lane (now Broadgreen Road). The junction later acquired two more pubs, the "Swan Vaults" (now called the "Old Swan") and the "Cygnet" (now closed), while the original pub has been replaced by another, the "Red House".
Housing in the district is mostly in densely packed terraced houses, though there are exceptions. Doric Park is tucked away behind rows of terraced houses. The Edge Lane retail park runs parallel to Old Swan.
In the area there is an NHS walk-in health centre, along with an emergency surgery.
There are also three dental surgeries on Derby Lane that deal with a mixture of NHS and private patients.
Old Swan also has an emergency ambulance station which is located on St. Oswalds Street.
Old Swan's representation on Liverpool City Council is largely through the Old Swan ward, though parts also lie in Tuebrook and Stoneycroft ward. The elected councillors for Old Swan ward are Councillor Peter Brennan (Labour Party), Councillor Joanne Calvert (Labour Party) and Lord Mayor Gary Millar (Labour Party).
Old Swan has a library that is managed by Liverpool City Council. The library was built with Victorian black and white features, and now has its own designated garden area, the entrance to which is located on the A57 road
Old Swan also has its own One Stop Shop which is located on Derby Lane.
Old Swan has a varied collection of clothes and food shops situated along Prescot Road serving local residents. In addition, the area is also served by a large Tesco supermarket this has recently been joined by an Aldi facing it across St. Oswald Street. Further down Prescot Road, away from the city centre is a Sainsbury's supermarket. During 2011, Asda took over the Netto premises, and it is now an Asda supermarket.
Fairly regular bus routes 8, 9, 10/10A/10B, 11 and 139 connect Old Swan to Liverpool City Centre and in the oppisite direction along Prescot Road to Huyton, Prescot and St Helens in east Merseyside. Old Swan has other bus links - routes 60, 61/61A, 62/162, 68, 81/81A and 102, which do not serve Liverpool City Centre but provide important links to other areas of Liverpool including Aigburth, Aintree, Anfield, Bootle, Childwall, Clubmoor, Crosby, Croxteth, Fazakerley, Netherton, Norris Green, Orrell Park, Speke, Walton, Wavertree, West Derby and Woolton and Liverpool John Lennon Airport.
The M62 motorway starts at the end of Broadgreen Road out of the city, and is the east gateway into the city via Edge Lane Drive.
The nearest railway stations to Old Swan are Broad Green railway station and Wavertree Technology Park railway station. Both are operated by Northern Rail and served by local stopping trains to and from Liverpool Lime Street to Wigan North Western, Warrington Bank Quay and Stalybridge via. Manchester Victoria (some peak services continue to Huddersfield) and express services to Manchester Airport via. Manchester Piccadilly (Wavertree only) from Monday to Saturday. On Sundays, local stopping services operate to/from Liverpool Lime Street to Blackpool North via Wigan North Western and Manchester Airport via Manchester Piccadilly.
It contains six schools, including Broadgreen Primary School, St Anne's Stanley C of E Primary, St Oswald's Catholic Primary, Corinthian Avenue Primary, St Cuthbert Catholic Primary and Broadgreen International School (formerly known as Broadgreen High School, Broadgreen Community Comprehensive and Highfield), which is a specialised sixth form and technology college. There are also three nurseries in the area. Old Swan offers a recently refurbished library, originally opened in 1913 as a reading room.
- Former Manchester United manager Ron Atkinson was born in Old Swan.
- Alan Caldwell, known as Rory Storm, rock 'n' roll singer of the late 1950s and early 1960s. He was born in Old Swan in 1939, was a member of Old Swan Boys' Club (1956–57) and attended St Margaret's Anfield School.
- Dennis Evans, former captain of Arsenal F.C., was born in Old Swan.
- Tommy Scott, lead singer with 1990s band Space lived in Old Swan at the height of their fame.
- The Coronation Street actress Georgia May Foote was born here.
- The parents of Hollywood actor Mike Myers
- Office for National Statistics. "Population estimates for UK, England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland – current datasets". statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 5 June 2009.[dead link]
- 2001 Census: Old Swan, Office for National Statistics, retrieved 14 June 2008
- DM Whale : Lost Villages of Liverpool (1985) ISBN 0 901314 24 2
- Whale p40
- Google Maps https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.413652,-2.911784&hl=en&num=1&t=w&z=19
- Old Swan turns over a new leaf, Liverpool City Council, 3 March 2006, retrieved 12 January 2009
- Old Swan Community Library, Liverpool City Council, retrieved 12 January 2009
- "Jacqui Abbott - Ron Atkinson". Liverpool Echo. Trinity Mirror North West & North Wales Limited.
- "Number One In Heaven". Penguin.co.uk. Penguin Books Ltd. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- "Top 10 Most Famous Liverpool Supporters-Mike Myers". Football Fancast. Football Fancast.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Old Swan.|
- Old Swan History
- Liverpool City Council, Ward Profile: Old Swan
- Liverpool Street Gallery - Liverpool 13
- Old Swan and surrounding area - History - Pics