Old Sydney Town
Old Sydney Town was a small open air museum and theme park which operated from 1975 until 2003 in the town of Somersby, near Gosford New South Wales, Australia. Once a living tribute to the early years of Sydney's colonial settlement in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the town is now used as a location for film and television production.
The park was opened in 1975 by Gough Whitlam. It was developed by architect Frank Fox with the help of the Federal Government and the Bank of NSW. The Wran state government took over the federal investment shortly after the Fraser government took power at the end of 1975.
During its lifetime, the park had 6 million visitors .
When the park was closed in 2003, the operators blamed the closure partly on what they called the "instant gratification" generation that demands computer games and thrill-rides, rather than a leisurely stroll through history.
Since the park closed to the public it has been let for movie shoots.
In February 2012 residents of the Central Coast banded together and formed a committee to re-open the park and several Facebook pages were started.
In February 2013 the Daily Telegraph reported that the family of Frank Fox, were in negotiations with the current lease holders about reviving the town.
The Town was set out according to James Meehan's map of Sydney in 1803 and consisted of over 30 authentically reconstructed buildings. This reconstruction of 1803's Sydney closed exactly 200 years later.
- "Sydney Cove" - a recreation of Sydney Harbour 
- Soldiers on parade.
- Thundering cannons.
- Pistol and saber duels
- Convict rebellion.
- Magistrate's Court.
- Convict punishment
- Bullock Rides, Horse-drawn wagons
- Craft stores
- Kiosk, Tea Shop, Barbecue Facilities
- Old Sydney Town website
- Old Sydney Town television commercial
- Heritage List Old Sydney Town Facebook page
- Bold bid to revive Old Sydney Town as a major theme park and tourist attraction
- "Sydney Morning Herald - "Farewell to Old Sydney Town forever"". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2003-01-25. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "ABC AM Radio 702- "Old Sydney Town to close"". 2003-01-03. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "Sydney Morning Herald - "A historic theme for Australian fun parks: failure"". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2003-01-04. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Travellers in Time: Living History in Australia By George Gunton Page 79. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "Travelmall - "Hunter and Central Coast Attractions"". Retrieved 2008-01-13.