Old York Cellars
|Old York Cellars|
|Location||80 Old York Road, Ringoes, New Jersey, USA|
|Coordinates||40.449705 N, 74.838132 W|
|Formerly||Amwell Valley Vineyard|
|Other labels||What Exit Wines|
|First vines planted||1978|
|Opened to the public||2010|
|Key people||David Wolin (owner)
Scott Gares (winemaker)
Laurin Dorman (general manager)
|Cases/yr||3,600 (estimated, 2012)|
|Other attractions||Art classes, art gallery, picnicking permitted|
|Distribution||On-site, wine festivals, NJ liquor stores, NJ restaurants, home shipment|
|Tasting||Daily tastings, picnicking permitted|
Old York Cellars is a winery in the Ringoes section of East Amwell Township in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. The vineyard was first planted in 1978 when the farm was known as Amwell Valley Vineyard. Amwell Valley operated as a winery from 1982 to 2005. Old York Cellars opened to the public in 2010. Old York has 12 acres of grapes under cultivation, and produces an estimated 3,600 cases of wine per year. The winery is named for road where it is located.
Old York Cellars produces wine from Barbera, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cayuga White, Chardonnay, Chenin blanc, Colobel, Landot noir, Malbec, Marechal Foch, Merlot, Pinot gris, Riesling, Seyval blanc, Syrah, Vidal blanc, and Vignoles (Ravat 51) grapes. Old York also makes fruit wines from blackberries and peaches. The winery has a separate brand of New Jersey themed vintages named "What Exit Wines" that are used to raise money for Hurricane Sandy relief. Old York is the only winery in New Jersey that produces wine from Colobel, a red hybrid grape developed in France in the early twentieth century that is often used for wine coloration. The winery is not located in one of New Jersey's three viticultural areas.
Features, licensing, and associations
The winery offers art classes, and has a small gallery featuring the works of local artists. Old York Cellars has a plenary winery license from the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, which allows it to produce an unrestricted amount of wine, operate up to 15 off-premises sales rooms, and ship up to 12 cases per year to consumers in-state or out-of-state. The winery is a member of the Garden State Wine Growers Association and its subsidiary, Vintage North Jersey.
- Alcohol laws of New Jersey
- American wine
- Judgment of Princeton
- List of wineries, breweries, and distilleries in New Jersey
- New Jersey Farm Winery Act
- New Jersey Wine Industry Advisory Council
- New Jersey wine
- Old York Cellars. "Drink in the view at Old York Cellars" (commercial website) (15 November 2011). Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Peskoe, Ashley. "New Jersey wineries showcase selections at annual festival" in The Star-Ledger (8 April 2013). Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- Westrich, Sal. New Jersey Wine: A Remarkable History. (Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2012). ISBN 9781609491833.
- Schmidt, R. Marilyn. Wines and Wineries of New Jersey. (Chatsworth, NJ: Pine Barrens Press, 1999). ISBN 9780937996386.
- DeVito, Carlo. "Old York Winery (Ringoes, NJ)" on East Coast Wineries (blog) (20 February 2012). Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- Zernike, Kate. "From Garden State to Vineyard State" in The New York Times (2 May 2013). Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- Jackson, Bart. Garden State Wineries Guide. (South San Francisco, CA: Wine Appreciation Guild, 2011). ISBN 9781934259573.
- Mack, Danielle. "New Jersey's Top Wineries in NJBIZ (11 March 2013). Retrieved 18 May 2013. Old York Cellars produced 8,500 gallons of wine in 2012, which is equivalent to 3,600 cases, assuming standard case and bottle sizes.
- Old York Cellars. "Old York Cellars: Wine Shop" (commercial website). Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Staikos, George. "Old York Rolls Out Jersey-Centric Wines" in New Jersey Monthly (3 July 2013). Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Das, Arun Kristian. "New Jersey wines raise money for storm relief with every bottle" on WNYW (Fox New York) (24 June 2013). Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Robinson, Jancis, et al. Wine Grapes. (New York, NY: HarperCollins, 2013). ISBN 9780062325518. A review of the wines made by New Jersey's 46 wineries found no other establishment using Colobel grapes.
- Reisch, B.I., et al. "French-American and Other Interspecific Varieties" on Cornell Cooperative Extension (academic website) (1 February 2001). Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Arceo, Linda. "Old York Cellars Virtual Tasting Party – Tonight!" on Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps (blog) (15 August 2013). Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- Jackson, Bart. "Wine to Please This Artist’s Palate & Palette" in U.S. 1 Newspaper (10 October 2012). Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control. "New Jersey ABC license update" (16 April 2013). Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- N.J.S.A. 33:1-10.
- Garden State Wine Growers Association. "GSWGA Wineries." Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- Vintage North Jersey. "Participating Wineries on the Vintage North Jersey Wine Trail." Retrieved 18 May 2013.