Oldsmobile Diesel engine
Oldsmobile produced various Diesel engines from 1978 to 1985. Sales peaked in 1981 at approximately 310,000 units, which represented 60% of the total U.S. passenger vehicle Diesel market, but this success was short lived. Sales quickly declined over the next several years as gasoline prices dropped. Additionally, the Oldsmobile Diesel had gained a reputation for unreliability and anemic performance that damaged the North American passenger Diesel market for the next 20 years. However, the strong blocks continue to see use in petrol-powered race engines.
The LT6 is 4.3 liter V6 which was produced in limited numbers from 1982-1984. Power was rated at 85 bhp (63 kW) @ 3600 rpm and 165 lb·ft (224 N·m) @ 1600 rpm.
- 1982–1984 Buick Regal
- 1982–1983 Chevrolet Malibu
- 1982–1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
- 1982–1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme/Cutlass Calais
The LT7 is a transversely-mounted 4.3 liter V6 which was produced from 1982-1985. Power was rated at 85 bhp (63 kW) @ 3600 rpm and 165 lb·ft (224 N·m) @ 1600 rpm.
- 1982–1985 Buick Century
- 1982–1985 Chevrolet Celebrity
- 1982–1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
- 1982–1985 Pontiac 6000
The LS2 is a front wheel drive version of the 4.3 liter V6.
The LF7 is a 260 cu in (4.3 L) V8 putting out 90 hp (67 kW) and 160 ft·lbf (220 N·m) torque.
The LF9 is a 350 cu in (5,737 cc) diesel V8 produced from 1978-1985. Earlier versions and those used in pickups produced 120 hp (89 kW) and 220 ft·lbf (300 N·m) torque, while later versions produced 105 hp (78 kW) and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m) torque.
- Buick – varying model years of Century, Electra, LeSabre, Regal, and Riviera
- Cadillac – varying model years of de Ville, Eldorado, Fleetwood Brougham, and Seville
- Chevrolet – varying model years of C/K, Caprice, El Camino, Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, and Suburban
- GMC – varying model years of C/K, Caballero, and Suburban
- Oldsmobile – varying model years of Custom Cruiser, Cutlass/Cutlass Cruiser/Cutlass Salon, Cutlass Supreme/Cutlass Calais, Delta 88, Ninety-Eight, and Toronado
- Pontiac – varying model years of Bonneville, Catalina, Grand Prix, and Parisienne
- 1980–1982 Checker Marathon
Problems due to water in fuel
Large volumes of diesel fuel containing water or foreign particles were sold around the time of the introduction of the Oldsmobile diesel engines.