Oldwick, New Jersey
|Oldwick, New Jersey|
Businesses in Oldwick
|Elevation||217 ft (66 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||0878982|
Oldwick is an unincorporated community located within Tewksbury Township in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States. The area is served as United States Postal Service ZIP Code 08858. As of the 2000 United States Census, the population for ZIP Code Tabulation Area 08858 was 177.
Oldwick was formerly known as New Germantown. It has a mixture of Victorian, Federal, New England and Georgian style homes, and is protected by historic legislation. Historic sites within Oldwick include Kline Farmhouse, Oldwick Historic District and the Taylor's Mill Historic District.
Zion Lutheran Church in Oldwick was the oldest Lutheran parish in New Jersey. Justus Falckner of New York, the first Lutheran clergyman ever ordained in America, led the worshipers at the founding ceremony on August 1, 1714. The noted German Lutheran pastor, Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, was a member of this congregation from 1759 to 1760.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Oldwick include:
- George David Weiss (1921–2010), songwriter and former President of the Songwriters Guild of America.
- "Oldwick". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- Census 2000 Fact Sheet for Zip Code Tabulation Area 08858 from the United States Census Bureau, accessed April 19, 2007.
- Zion Lutheran Church
- Zion Lutheran Church History (Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church Oldwick)[dead link]
- Fox, Margalit. "George David Weiss, Writer of Hit Pop Songs, Dies at 89", The New York Times, August 23, 2010. Accessed August 23, 2010.