Shovkovskiy playing for Dynamo Kyiv in 2011
|Full name||Oleksandr Volodymyrovych Shovkovskiy|
|Date of birth||2 January 1975|
|Place of birth||Kiev, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Current club||Dynamo Kyiv|
|1992–1993||Dynamo Kyiv 3||16||(0)|
|1993–1994||Dynamo Kyiv 2||16||(0)|
|2001–2002||Dynamo Kyiv 2||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 24 November 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Oleksandr Volodymyrovych Shovkovskyi (Ukrainian: Олександр Володимирович Шовковський; Russian: Александр Владимирович Шовковский) (born 2 January 1975) is a Ukrainian footballer who plays as a goalkeeper. He has played for Dynamo Kyiv in the Vyscha Liha, the top level of Ukrainian football, since 1993.
Born in Kyiv, in the Ukrainian SSR of the Soviet Union (in present-day Ukraine), Shovkovskiy is a graduate of the Dynamo Kyiv football academy. Since his teenage years and up until now Oleksandr Shovkovskiy has played for only one club. In fact he has more caps for the club than anybody else in the history of Dynamo. After advancing from one age group youth team to another, this talented young goalkeeper made his way to the first squad of the Ukrainian giants Dynamo where he made his debut in a league fixture in 1993. By next year he was already called up to the Ukraine national football team. Throughout the majority of his career he was the first choice goalkeeper for Dynamo, except for a few brief periods caused by injuries. The goalkeeper's fame came to him as he became notorious for saving penalties, which made him popular in the media and among fans. By the end of 2009 his goals against average in the League was .632 with over 300 games played.
Shovkovsky got a lot of media attention when giving an interview about the Euromaidan situation. When commenting on the number of people killed, he mentioned how his grandfather started every toast saying "For not having any wars", after which he couldn't hold his tears. Before a Europa League game against Valencia Shovkovsky sent a request to UEFA to start the games of the Ukrainian clubs from a moment of silence, a request that was granted.
Shovkovskiy is well known for his blunder during the EURO 2000 qualification game where Ukraine faced Slovenia where Shovkovskiy on 68th minute in the first match in Maribor, went out almost to the corner flag to kick the ball away, which resulted in the open net and Milenko Acimovic scoring from 40 meters out, which proved to be crucial to Ukraine not qualifying for EURO 2000 in Netherlands/Belgium.
Shovkovskiy was the first-choice keeper for Ukraine at the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Notably, he saved two spot kicks in the penalty shootout against Switzerland in their second-round match, which sent Ukraine through to the quarterfinals, becoming the first goalkeeper in FIFA World Cup history not to concede a goal during penalty shootout; Shovkovskiy was subsequently awarded the man of the match award. Also more recently Oleksandr was voted player of the tournament in early 2008, in a Channel One Cup in Israel, which was won by Dynamo in a notorious game against the club's top rival Shakhtar Donetsk. During this game in a series of penalty kicks, Oleksandr Shovkovskyi saved 3 kicks and almost single-handedly won the match. Oleksandr Shovkovskyi also holds a record for being the third most capped player in the Ukrainian national team after Andriy Shevchenko and Anatoliy Tymoshchuk. His goals against average for the national team is .86 with a bit short of 100 games mark on his count (92).
- As of 3 November 2013
- As of 30 June 2013
Ukrainian Premier League (12): 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2009
Ukrainian Cup (8): 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
Ukrainian Super Cup (5): 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011
CIS Cup (4): 1996, 1997, 1998, 2002
Valeriy Lobanovskiy Memorial Tournament (2): 2003, 2004
Ukraine and CIS
- Ukrainian footballer of the Season: 2nd place 2004/2005 (by newspaper «Komanda»)
- Ukrainian goalkeeper of the Year (9): 1994, 1997—1999, 2003—2006, 2011 (by newspaper «Ukrayinskyi futbol»)
- UPL goalkeeper of the season (2): 2010/2011, 2011/2012
- independent Ukraine's history the best footballer, with Andriy Shevchenko and Anatoliy Tymoshchuk)
- 2000–2010 CIS the best goalkeeper (by soccer.ru)
- Ukrainian Footballer of the Year: 2nd place (1994), 3rd place (1999) (by newspaper «Ukrayinskyi futbol»)
Worldwide and European
- Ballon d'Or 1999 – nominated (top 50)
- FIFA World Cup 2006 round of 16 Switzerland vs Ukraine Man of the Match
- Shovkovskiy's save in match Rubin Kazan vs. Dynamo Kyiv – UEFA ChL 2009/2010 group stage fifth round Moment of the Round
- UEFA Europa League 2010/2011 best goalkeeper
- Александр Шовковский: "Лечу вместе с командой в Париж" (I'm flying together with the team to Paris). ua-football.com. 2012-09-13.
- Символическая сборная постсоветского пространства 2000–2010 rus.
- Ballon d'Or — «Золотой мяч-99» rus.
- Рубин – Динамо Киев. ЛЧ. Сейв Шовковского. rus.
- Шовковский – самый эффективный вратарь Лиги Европы rus.