Shovkovskiy playing for Dynamo Kyiv in 2011
|Full name||Oleksandr Volodymyrovych Shovkovskiy|
|Date of birth||2 January 1975|
|Place of birth||Kiev, Ukraine|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|1992–1993||Dynamo Kyiv 3||16||(0)|
|1993||→ CSKA Kyiv||2||(0)|
|1992–2006||Dynamo Kyiv 2||31||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19 April 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Oleksandr Volodymyrovych Shovkovskiy (Ukrainian: Олександр Володимирович Шовковський) (born 2 January 1975) is a Ukrainian footballer who plays as a goalkeeper. He has played for Dynamo Kyiv in the Vyscha Liha, the top level of Ukrainian football, since 1993.
Born in Kyiv, Ukraine, Shovkovskiy is a graduate of the Dynamo Kyiv football academy. Since his teenage years and up until now Oleksandr Shovkovskiy has played for only one club. In fact he has more caps for the club than anybody else in the history of Dynamo. After advancing from one age group youth team to another, this talented young goalkeeper made his way to the first squad of the Ukrainian giants Dynamo where he made his debut in a league fixture in 1993. By next year he was already called up to the Ukraine national football team. Throughout the majority of his career he was the first choice goalkeeper for Dynamo, except for a few brief periods caused by injuries. The goalkeeper's fame came to him as he became notorious for saving penalties, which made him popular in the media and among fans. By the end of 2009 his goals against average in the League was .632 with over 300 games played.
Shovkovsky got a lot of media attention when giving an interview about the Euromaidan situation. When commenting on the number of people killed, he mentioned how his grandfather started every toast saying "For not having any wars", after which he couldn't hold his tears. Before a Europa League game against Valencia Shovkovsky sent a request to UEFA to start the games of the Ukrainian clubs from a moment of silence, a request that was granted.
Shovkovsky is a supporter of the Euromaidan movement, and said he wants to live by "European values and not by Soviet values". He also criticized the previous government for the use of violence against the protesters. However, he criticized the decision of the new government to take away the status of Russian language as a second language in Russian language speaking regions.
Shovkovskiy is well known for his blunder during the EURO 2000 qualification game where Ukraine faced Slovenia where Shovkovskiy on 68th minute in the first match in Maribor, went out almost to the corner flag to kick the ball away, which resulted in the open net and Milenko Acimovic scoring from 40 meters out, which proved to be crucial to Ukraine not qualifying for EURO 2000 in Netherlands/Belgium.
Shovkovskiy was the first-choice keeper for Ukraine at the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Notably, he saved two spot kicks in the penalty shootout against Switzerland in their second-round match, which sent Ukraine through to the quarterfinals, becoming the first goalkeeper in FIFA World Cup history not to concede a goal during penalty shootout; Shovkovskiy was subsequently awarded the man of the match award. Also more recently Oleksandr was voted player of the tournament in early 2008, in a Channel One Cup in Israel, which was won by Dynamo in a notorious game against the club's top rival Shakhtar Donetsk. During this game in a series of penalty kicks, Oleksandr Shovkovskiy saved 3 kicks and almost single-handedly won the match. Oleksandr Shovkovskiy also holds a record for being the third most capped player in the Ukrainian national team after Andriy Shevchenko and Anatoliy Tymoshchuk. His goals against average for the national team is .86 with a bit short of 100 games mark on his count (92).
- As of 8 January 2015
- As of 30 June 2013
- Ukrainian Premier League (12): 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2003–04, 2006–07, 2008–09
- Ukrainian Cup (9): 1995-96, 1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2002-03, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2013-14
- Ukrainian Super Cup (5): 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011
- CIS Cup (4): 1996, 1997, 1998, 2002
- Valeriy Lobanovskyi Memorial Tournament (2): 2003, 2004
Ukraine and CIS
- Ukrainian footballer of the Season: 2nd place 2004/2005 (by newspaper «Komanda»)
- Ukrainian goalkeeper of the Year (9): 1994, 1997—1999, 2003—2006, 2011 (by newspaper «Ukrayinskyi futbol»)
- UPL goalkeeper of the season (2): 2010/2011, 2011/2012
- independent Ukraine's history the best footballer, with Andriy Shevchenko and Anatoliy Tymoshchuk)
- 2000–2010 CIS the best goalkeeper (by soccer.ru)
- Ukrainian Footballer of the Year: 2nd place (1994), 3rd place (1999) (by newspaper «Ukrayinskyi futbol»)
Worldwide and European
- Ballon d'Or 1999 – nominated (top 50)
- FIFA World Cup 2006 round of 16 Switzerland vs Ukraine Man of the Match
- Shovkovskiy's save in match Rubin Kazan vs. Dynamo Kyiv – UEFA ChL 2009/2010 group stage fifth round Moment of the Round
- UEFA Europa League 2010/2011 best goalkeeper
- Александр Шовковский плачет, комментируя ситуацию в Украине [Oleksandr Shovkovskiy cries while explaining situation in Ukraine] (in Russian). Archived from the original on 1 March 2014.
- http://www.ua-football.com/ukrainian/video/5307aa1d.html[dead link]
- Шовковський: Той безлад, який зараз твориться в Україні, не повинен залишати байдужим нікого (in Ukrainian). 20 February 2014. Archived from the original on 26 February 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Шовковский попросил УЕФА о минуте молчания во время матча с «Валенсией»" [Shovkovskiy asked for a minute of silence from FIFA during a match with Valencia]. 20 February 2014. Archived from the original on 1 March 2014.
- http://www.ua-football.com/ukrainian/high/5305aa36.html[dead link]
- Матч Виктория - Шахтер начался с минуты молчания (in Russian). 20 February 2014. Archived from the original on 26 February 2014.
- Александр Шовковский: «В Киеве нет фашистов и бандеровцев. Приезжайте и посмотрите – я куплю билет кому угодно» [Oleksandr Shovkovskiy: There are no Nazis or nationalists in Kiev. Come and see - I will buy tickets for everybody] (in Russian). 15 March 2014.
- Александр Шовковский: "Лечу вместе с командой в Париж" [Oleksandr Shovkovskiy: I'm flying together with the team to Paris] (in Russian). ua-football.com. 13 September 2012. Archived from the original on 16 September 2012.
- "Пятов установил рекорд по продолжительности сухой серии в сборной Украины". 16 November 2013. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013.
- Символическая сборная постсоветского пространства 2000–2010 rus.
- Ballon d'Or — «Золотой мяч-99» rus.
- Рубин – Динамо Киев. ЛЧ. Сейв Шовковского. rus.
- Шовковский – самый эффективный вратарь Лиги Европы rus.