|Real name||Олександр Усик|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
January 17, 1987 |
Simferopol, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
|Wins by KO||4|
Oleksandr Oleksandrovich Usyk (Ukrainian: Олекса́ндр Олекса́ндрович У́сик) is a Ukrainian professional boxer who won the 2008 European Amateur Boxing Championships at light-heavyweight, the 2011 World Amateur Boxing Championships at heavyweight and the gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics in the heavyweight division. He is a southpaw.
In February 2008, he moved up another weightclass and was sent to the Olympic qualifier in Roseto degli Abruzzi replacing European Champion Denys Poyatsyka. There he defeated world class Azeri Elchin Alizade and Daniel Price.
He dropped down to light-heavy and captured the European Championships 2008 but later went up again.
Usyk turned pro in late 2013 and signed a promotional deal with the Klitschko brothers' K2 Promotions. Usyk will fight in the Cruiserweight division. On November 9, 2013, Usyk made his professional debut by defeating Mexican fighter Felipe Romero via a fifth round knockout.
Professional boxing record
|4 Wins (4 knockout), 0 Losses, 0 Draws|
|Win||4-0||Cesar David Crenz||KO||4 (8)||2014-05-31||Sport Palace, Odessa, Ukraine|
|Win||3-0||Ben Nsafoah||KO||3 (8)||2014-04-26||König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen, Nordrhein-Westfalen|
|Win||2-0||Epifanio Mendoza||TKO||4 (6)||2013-12-07||TEC Terminal Ice Arena, Brovary|
|Win||1–0||Felipe Romero||TKO||5 (6)||2013-09-11||Sport Palace, Kiev||Professional debut|
Usyk is married to Katerin and the couple have 2 children (born in 2013 and 2009).
Roughly one month after the annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation[nb 1] Usyk declared (on 28 April 2014) he would never exchange his Ukrainian citizenship for a Russian one and that he considered Crimea a part of Ukraine.
- "Medallists by weight category". AIBA. Retrieved November 16, 2008.
- "Gold gives Ukrainian heavyweight a reason to dance". Washington Post. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- Ivan Ivanov (September 25, 2013). "Oleksandr Usyk, an Olympic gold medalist, will make a pro debut on Nov.9". Eastside Boxing.
- "Bracero defeats former WBA champ". http://www.supersport.com. November 10, 2013.
- Oleksandr Usyk – Boxer. Boxrec.com.
- (Ukrainian) Oleksandr's wife Katerin gave birth to a son, Televiziyna Sluzhba Novyn (8 February 2013)
- Gutterman, Steve. "Putin signs Crimea treaty, will not seize other Ukraine regions". Reuters.com. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- (Ukrainian) Usyk: "I am Ukrainian, and Crimea is Ukrainian", Ukrayinska Pravda Champion (28 April 2014)
- Professional boxing record for Oleksandr Usyk from BoxRec
- 2006 European Championships Results
- Olympic qualifier
- AIBA results for Olympic qualification.