December 27, 1948 |
|Institution||International Monetary Fund
School or tradition
|New Keynesian economics|
Paris Dauphine University
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Olivier Jean Blanchard (French: [blɑ̃ʃaʁ]; born December 27, 1948) is the chief economist at the International Monetary Fund, a post he has held since September 1, 2008. He was appointed to this position under the tenure of Dominique Strauss-Kahn. He is also the Robert M. Solow Professor of Economics at MIT. On May 14, 2015, Blanchard notified the IMF of his intention to retire. He will be succeeded by Maurice Obstfeld.
Blanchard earned his first degree at Paris Dauphine University, and graduated Ph.D. in Economics in 1977 at MIT. He taught at Harvard University between 1977 and 1983, after which time he returned to MIT as a professor. Between 1998 and 2003 Blanchard served as the Chairman of the Economics Department at MIT. He has also been an adviser for the Federal Reserve banks of Boston and New York.
Blanchard has published numerous research papers in the field of macroeconomics, as well as undergraduate and graduate macroeconomics textbooks.
In 1987, together with Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, Blanchard demonstrated the importance of monopolistic competition for the aggregate demand multiplier. Most New Keynesian macroeconomic models now assume monopolistic competition for the reasons outlined by them.
He is a fellow and past Council member of the Econometric Society, a past vice president of the American Economic Association, and a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. His current position of service at the International Monetary Fund is as Economic Counsellor and director of Research.
- Olivier Blanchard's CV on his MIT webpage
- "Blanchard Sees Global Economy Weathering Financial Storm" (International Monetary Fund; September 2, 2008).
- "IMF Economic Counsellor and Director of Research Olivier Blanchard To Retire from the Fund" (International Monetary Fund; May 14, 2015).
- IMF (20 July 2015). "IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde Appoints Maurice Obstfeld as Economic Counsellor and Director of the IMF’s Research Department". Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- Economist Rankings at IDEAS
- Asia 21 Bio
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean; Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro (1987). "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand". American Economic Review 77 (4): 647–666. JSTOR 1814537.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Olivier Blanchard|
- Olivier Blanchard on the website of the MIT Department of Economics
- Krugman, Paul, "Olivier Blanchard Isn't Very Serious" subtitle: "And that’s a very good thing.", New York Times blog, December 21, 2011, 4:48 pm.
|IMF Chief Economist
2008 – 2015
Maurice Obstfeld (designated)
|This biography about a French economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|