||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2012)|
Olivier Bonin (born 1973) is a documentary filmmaker, whose first movie is Dust & Illusions, 30 years of Burning Man history. His first attendance to the Burning Man festival coincided in 2003 with his debut in filmmaking. Bonin quickly decided to pursue an in-depth look at the infamous event as his first documentary subject. In 2004, he joined the Flaming Lotus Girls as their videographer and through that, he met some of the most important earlier makers and organizers of the Burning Man event. He discovered little by little the complexity behind the history of the event, the many faces, ideals and politics that came with it. In 2009 he released his first feature documentary film under the name Dust & Illusions. He toured around the world with the film for almost 3 years with more than 80 screenings, almost all sold out.
Olivier Bonin was born in France, grew up outside of Paris, and moved to San Francisco in 1998 to pursue a career in micro-electronics engineering, following his studies on the same subject. After 10 years in the high-tech industry, he made a career shift into filmmaking. With the success of his first film, he is continuing with new film projects, as well as providing support for non-profit organizations that can't afford film services with his company Madnomad Films, as well as other commercial endeavors.
With his film Dust & Illusions, Olivier Bonin was also invited to multiple film societies, museums and ivy league universities in the US and around the world. The film toured in the USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, and Europe.
- Dust & Illusions, 30 years of Burning Man history
- Biography of Olivier Bonin
- Madnomad Films production company
- ZekeOnTheAir - In-depth interview about filmmaking at Burning Man
- KBOO Portland Community Radio interview with Olivier Bonin
- Eugene Daily article on Olivier Bonin approach to filmmaking and Burning Man
- Q&A session at the Los Angeles American Cinematheque with John Law, Micheal Mikel and Brian Doherty
- BURNcast - Talk about Dust & Illusions with Olivier Bonin