Ollie & Jerry
|Ollie & Jerry|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Dance-pop, electro, synthpop, R&B|
|Past members||Ollie E. Brown
Despite releasing no studio albums under their own name, they are still widely known for their hit single "Breakin'... There's No Stopping Us", a dance-influenced track which became a top 10 hit in both the United States and the United Kingdom, and was featured as the theme to the film Breakin' and released on its accompanying soundtrack. However, the group disbanded in mid-1985, after the release of their second single "Electric Boogaloo". As a result, "Electric Boogaloo" failed to repeat the success of "Breakin'..." and the duo is widely considered a one-hit wonder.
Ollie Brown and Jerry Knight had previously worked together as session musicians, with Knight also being a member of R&B group Raydio. The two formed Ollie & Jerry in Los Angeles, California in 1984, signing to Polydor Records. The duo recorded the song "Breakin'... There's No Stopping Us" as the title theme to the 1984 film Breakin', and released as the first single from the film's soundtrack album. The single became a hit, peaking at #5 on the UK Singles Chart at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1984. The group then did some promotion for the song, performing on the syndicated television program Soul Train in the midst of the success of the song. The Breakin' soundtrack went on to peak at #8 on the US Billboard 200 albums chart.
The following year, the duo released the single "Electric Boogaloo", the title theme to the Breakin' sequel Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. The single did fairly well on the UK Singles Chart, peaking at #57 on the chart. However, the song failed to chart on the Billboard Hot 100; it did, however, find some minor success on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Hot Dance Club Play charts, peaking at the positions of #45 and #43 respectively. After the song's release, the duo split in mid-1985.
- "Breakin'... There's No Stopping Us" (1984) #9 US, #3 U.S. R&B,#5 UK, #27 NL, #25 Bel, #7 NZ, #25 Aus
- "Electric Boogaloo" (1985) #45 U.S. R&B,#57 UK
- Hogan, Ed. "allmusic ((( Ollie & Jerry > Overview )))". Allmusic. Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- Chartstats.com. "Chart Stats - Ollie And Jerry - Breakin'... There's No Stopping Us Now". Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- Billboard.com. "The Billboard Hot 100 - Billboard Hot 100 - Breakin... There's No Stopping".
- Billboard.com. "The Billboard 200 - Breakin' - Soundtrack". Retrieved July 4, 2009.[dead link]
- Chartstats.com. "Chart Stats - Ollie And Jerry - Electric Boogaloo". Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- Ollie & Jerry|Awards (Chart Positions) @AllMusic.com Retrieved 9-28-2014.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 406. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.