Location of Olney, Texas
|• Mayor||Brenda Stennett|
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.3 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,184 ft (361 m)|
|• Density||1,654.8/sq mi (638.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1364537|
Olney is located at .(33.368181, -98.758012)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.3 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,396 people, 1,405 households, and 896 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,654.8 people per square mile (639.6/km²). There were 1,668 housing units at an average density of 812.8/sq mi (314.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.78% White, 2.47% African American, 0.80% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 4.59% from other races, and 2.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14.43% of the population.
There were 1,405 households out of which 31.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.3% were married couples living together, 12.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.2% were non-families. 33.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.9% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 24.0% from 25 to 44, 20.3% from 45 to 64, and 22.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 81.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,991, and the median income for a family was $29,274. Males had a median income of $27,500 versus $16,466 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,723. About 18.3% of families and 21.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.8% of those under age 18 and 20.3% of those age 65 or over.
Olney Community Library & Arts Center
Located on the Olney school campus at 807 W. Hamilton.
Olney is the home of the One-Arm Dove Hunt.
The south side of Olney's Main Street, Texas State Highway 114.
Olney is served by the Olney Independent School District.
Olney Municipal Airport is 3 miles southwest of the city, and includes the Air Tractor company with 270 employees, manufacturing agricultural aircraft. The airport is the flight test site for the Carter Personal Air Vehicle, as well as training for the 2014 Red Bull Air Race World Championship.
- Kyle Clifton, former NFL player
- George D. Keathley, Medal of Honor recipient
- Johnny Vaught, legendary Ole Miss head coach, member of the College Football Hall of Fame
- Bob Lilly, Dallas Cowboys - Pro Football Hall of Fame 1980
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Olney has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Olney Municipal Airport" SkyVector. Accessed: 2 September 2013.
- "City Data Olney Municipal Airport (ONY)". Accessed: 2 September 2013.
- "Business Buzz: Texas Tech chancellor to speak at Abilene chamber membership banquet". Reporter News, September 23, 2012. Accessed: 2 September 2013.
- Aircraft Completes First Phase Of Flight Testing KAUZ-TV NewsChannel 6, January 26, 2011. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- "Carter Personal Air Vehicle completes first flights with new rotor" Carter Aviation Technologies, August 29, 2013. Accessed: September 2, 2013.
- "Pilots train for Red Bull Air Race" Olney Enterprise, 25 October 2013. Accessed: 3 November 2013. Photos and videos
- Climate Summary for Olney, Texas
- City of Olney, Texas official website
- The Handbook of Texas Online: Olney, Texas
- One Arm Dove Hunt official website
- Olney Enterprise