|Author||Dugald Steer and others|
|Publisher||Templar Publishing (UK)
Candlewick Press (US)
The Ologies are a series of illustrated fantasy books presented in a fictional encyclopedic format primarily edited and authored by Dugald Steer. They are published by Templar Publishing in the United Kingdom and Candlewick Press in the United States. The books have been very popular in sales; the first book, Dragonology, remained on the New York Times' children's bestsellers list for 76 weeks.
Each of the books is given a fictional "author," and purport to be "lost" journals of fictional investigators. Since the books follow an encyclopedia format rather than a narrative, Steer has said that, "It's slightly different from traditional reading. Readers can dip in and out, but the essential story is told in a linear way."
- Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (2003)
- Working with Dragons: A Course in Dragonology
- Egyptology: Search for the Tomb of Osiris (2004)
- Wonders of Egypt: A Course in Egyptology
- An Egyptologist's Writing Kit
- Wizardology: The Book of the Secrets of Merlin (2005)
- A Guide to Wizards of the World
- A Wizard's Code Writing Kit
- Pirateology: A Pirate Hunter's Companion (2006)
- Captain William Lubber's Pirateology Handbook
- A Pirate's Guide and Model Ship
- Mythology: Greek Gods, Heroes, & Monsters (2007)
- The Mythology Handbook
- Monsterology: The Complete Book of Fabulous Beasts (2008)
- Dr. Ernest Drake's Collector's Library
- Working with Monsters
- Spyology: The Complete Book of Spycraft (2008)
- Oceanology: The True Account of the Voyage of the Nautilus (2009)
- Vampireology: The True History of the Fallen Ones (2010)
- Alienology: The Complete Book of Extraterrestrials (2010)
- Illusionology: The Secret Science of Magic (2012)
- Dinosaurology: The Search for a Lost World (2013)
In October 2007, Codemasters announced a licensing agreement to create video games for the Wii and Nintendo DS based on Dragonology, Wizardology and Pirateology. Nik Nak is developing the Wii titles.
In October 2012, it was reported that Carlos Saldanha, the director of the Ice Age films and Rio, is developing for 20th Century Fox an animated feature film based on Alienology: The Complete Book of Extraterrestrials.
- "CHILDREN'S BEST SELLERS: September 11, 2005". New York Times. 2005-09-11.
- Minzesheimer, Bob (31 October 2008). "Kids' 'ology' titles go beyond reading". USA Today. Retrieved 25 November 2010.
- David Jenkins (2007-10-05). "Codemasters Signs Wii/DS ‘Ology Book Deal". Gama Sutra.
- Leigh Alexander (2008-01-22). "Nik Nak Developing 'Ology Wii Titles For Codemasters". Gamasutra.
- Kroll, Justin; Abrams, Rachel (October 25, 2012). "'Rio' helmer Carlos Saldanha inks Fox pact". Variety. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- Ology World official website
- Templar Ologies
- Candlewick Press - Catalog - Ologies
- Anne Yvonne Gilbert, Ology Illustrator