Om Jai Jagadish
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2011)|
|Om Jai Jagadish|
|Directed by||Anupam Kher|
|Produced by||Vashu Bhagnani|
|Written by||Rumi Jaffery
|Music by||Anu Malik|
|Editing by||Apurva Asrani|
|Release dates||8 July 2002|
|Running time||172 mins|
Om Jai Jagadish is a 2002 Bollywood film directed by Anupam Kher and was his directorial debut. The film stars Waheeda Rehman, Anil Kapoor, Fardeen Khan, Abhishek Bachchan, Mahima Chaudhry, Urmila Matondkar and Tara Sharma.
Saraswati Batra (Waheeda Rehman) is the widowed mother of Om (Anil Kapoor), Jai (Fardeen Khan) and Jagadish (Abhishek Bachchan). Om is responsible and provides the income for the whole family. He works in a music company owned by his friend,Shekhar Malhotra (Parmeet Sethi). Jai is very ambitious (he wants to construct the world's fastest car) and is studying in the United States. His education is paid by Om for which he has taken loan from Parmeet Sethi. Jagadish is a college student who is very good with computers. Jai soon returns after Om and his mother convinces him.
They all want different things and soon Om and Jai marry. Om marries the bubbly Ayesha (Mahima Chaudhry) MTV VJ and Jai marries Neetu (Urmila Matondkar), the daughter of a rich NRI. Jagadish is in love with Puja (Tara Sharma) who is from Banglore; they meet at a college festival. When Jai clashes with Om's values they drift apart.
Soon Jai receives a promotion in America and leaves with Neetu. Jagadish is caught computer hacking after trying to help a friend get the answers to a test. Om throws him out the house. Om, Ayesha and his mother have to leave the house after Om failed to pay the loan covering it. The three brothers are separated. Eventually, they all come together at the house auction to buy it back. Om is at the auction to see the winner and is surprised when Jagadish shows up to bid. He reveals that he used his hacking skills to create a program to block hackers instead. Jai comes at the end of the auction and bids more, which he got by selling his engine for the fastest car. He doesn't have enough so the three brothers combine their money to win back the house, but it isn't enough. Finally, it is revealed that the CEO of the company that Jagadish made the hacking program for bid for the house and won. Jagadish made a deal that the price of the house was the price of the program. The three brothers reunite and move back into the house.
- Waheeda Rehman ... Saraswati Batra
- Anil Kapoor ... Om Batra
- Fardeen Khan ... Jai Batra
- Abhishek Bachchan ... Jagadish Batra
- Mahima Chaudhry ... Ayesha Batra
- Urmila Matondkar ... Neetu Batra
- Tara Sharma ... Pooja Batra
- Parmeet Sethi ... Shekhar Malhotra
- Annu Kapoor ... KK
- Rakesh Bedi ... Ram Prasad
- Raju Kher ... Giri, Neetu's father
- Lillete Dubey ... Neetu's mother
- Achint Kaur ... Tanya Malhotra (Shekhar Malhotra's fiance)
- Rajesh Khera
- Anupam Kher's brother, Raju Kher plays Urmila Matondkar's father in the film.
- Originally Yash Raj Films wanted to rope in director Anupam Kher with his script and also wished to produce it, in a condition that the director managed to rope in Aamir Khan (Om), Shahrukh Khan (Jai), Salman Khan (Jagadish), Kajol (Ayesha), Rani Mukherji (Neetu)& Preity Zinta (Pooja) playing the leading characters. However, surprisingly, all the actors declined the film stating date problems and the project was eventually produced by Vashu Bhagnani and released by Sa Re Ga Ma HMV.
- Remains the only film offered to the three big Khan's (Salman, Shahrukh Khan & Aamir Khan), together till date.
- This was the comeback role for Waheeda Rehman who returned to films after 11 years since her last appearance in Lamhe (1991)
- Some part of the film is shot in Dunedin, New Zealand. The university campus is University of Otago's campus.
- In the movie, the location referred to as Atlanta, United State is Dunedin, New Zealand.
The music was composed by Anu Malik, and the lyrics were written by Sameer. The soundtrack has the following songs:
- Om Jai Jagadish - Sung by Abhijeet, Alka Yagnik Hariharan
- Chori Chori - Sung by Alka Yagnik, Sonu Nigam, Kunal Ganjawala
- Jeena Kya - Sung by K.K.
- Happy Days - Sung by Alka Yagnik, Udit Narayan, Sonu Niigaam
- Shaadi - Sung by Hema Sardesai, Shaan
- Love Story - Sung by Abhijeet, Shaan, Kavita Krishnamurthy
- Pyar Ka Matlab - Sung by Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Udit Narayan, Sonu Niigaam