||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
Gonzalez with the United States in 2013
|Full name||Omar Alejandro Gonzalez|
|Date of birth||October 11, 1988|
|Place of birth||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|2005||IMG Soccer Academy|
|2012||→ 1. FC Nürnberg (loan)||0||(0)|
|2005||United States U17||2||(0)|
|2007||United States U18||3||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of August 28, 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Gonzalez was drafted in the first round (3rd overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by Los Angeles Galaxy. Gonzalez began a regular feature in the Galaxy lineup from the start, scoring his first professional goal in April and was named MLS Rookie of the Year for helping lead the Galaxy from a last-place finish in 2008.
In January 2012, Gonzalez was loaned to 1. FC Nuremberg of the Bundesliga until mid-February. During his first training session with his new club, Gonzalez suffered a torn ACL to his left knee after a collision with national teammate Timothy Chandler. He immediately headed back to the US to undergo surgery.
On March 26, 2013, Gonzalez was given the start in central defense in the United States' 0-0 draw in a World Cup qualifier against Mexico at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City. According to Jeff Carlisle of ESPN, Gonzalez "was the man of the match by a clear margin".
- "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil: List of Players" (PDF). FIFA. 11 June 2014. p. 32. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Colorado Rapids 3, Los Angeles Galaxy 2 (Close Finish) - 4/4/2009 - Football - Are You Watching This?!". Areyouwatchingthis.com. 2009-04-08. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Galaxy soar from worst to first". Chinadaily.com.cn. 2009-10-27. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Nick Firchau. "Galaxy hero Gonzalez loaned to FC Nurnberg". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved 2012-01-07.
- "Gonzalez tears ACL at Nurnberg". Soccer By Ives. Retrieved 2012-01-07.
- "Women's International Friendly". Espn Fc. Retrieved 2014-06-07.