Ombúes de Lavalle
|Ombúes de Lavalle|
|Elevation||119 m (390 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC -3|
|Dial plan||+598 4576 (+4 digits)|
Ombúes de Lavalle is a small city located in the north of Colonia Department in southwestern Uruguay. It is named after the Argentine General Juan Lavalle. The term «Ombúes» is the Spanish plural for «Ombú», a tree originary of the Pampas region, in southern South America, and a national symbol of both Argentina and Uruguay.
It is located near the border with the Soriano Department on Route 55, 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) south of its intersection with Route 12, 44 kilometres (27 mi) west-southwest of Cardona and 69 kilometres (43 mi) east of Nueva Palmira.
On August 1890, a populated centre was founded here. It was declared as "Pueblo" (village) on 14 December 1932, by the Act of Ley Nº 8.922. On 17 November 1964, its status was further elevated to "Villa" (town) by the Act of Ley Nº 13.299, and finally on 17 May 1984, it was further elevated to "Ciudad" (city) by the Act of Ley Nº 15.549.
In 2011 Ombúes de Lavalle had a population of 3,390.
Source: Instituto Nacional de Estadística de Uruguay
The main street of the town, running SW to NE, is Juan Zorrilla de San Martín. It joins Ruta 55 to Conchillas at its southwest end and, at its northeast end, Ruta 55 to José Enrique Rodó of the Soriano Department.
In the east part of the town is a square, Plaza 1 de Agosto, which is also a small park, and next to it is the administrative centre of the town, the Junta Local, and a public library. In the north part of the town is a big open area called Los Ombúes featuring the trees that gave their name to the town. In the same area are an open doors sports square, a small polyclinic, an old mill, a Catholic church and the cultural centre of the town.
Places of worship
- Information about the town at La Voz de Ombúes (Spanish)
- Data at fallingrain.com
- "Statistics of urban localities (1908–2004)" (PDF). INE. 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Ley Nº 13.299". República Oriental del Uruguay, Poder Legislativo. 1964. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Ley Nº 15.549". República Oriental del Uruguay, Poder Legislativo. 1984. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Censos 2011 Cuadros Colonia". INE. 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- La Voz de Ombúes - Local newspaper (Spanish)
- Ombúes Radio 97.3 FM (Spanish)
- INE map of Ombúes de Lavalle