|Birth name||Antonio Peter de la Rosa|
January 17, 1978 |
Bonao, Dominican Republic
|Genres||Merengue and Merengue Urbano|
|Labels||Allegro Music and Planet Records Europe|
Antonio Peter de la Rosa[a] (born January 17, 1978) better known by his stage name Omega "El Fuerte" or simply Omega, is a Dominican singer and songwriter. He is a modern Merengue artist based in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Since 2007, Omega has enjoyed increased popularity in the Dominican Republic and in Dominican-American across the United States. He has also penetrated music markets in Spain, Italy and Latin American.
Omega has helped create and popularize a new form of Merengue, called Merengue Urbano or Merengue de Calle. It is a blend of merengue with Hip hop, Rap and R&B. This new genre has been adopted by many artists from diverse backgrounds such as Cuban-American Pitbull and Colombian-born Shakira.
Peter de la Rosa began developing his musical talent at a young age, by 13 years of age he formed his first rap group. Afterward he began appearing on variety TV shows in the Dominican Republic and won several singing competitions as part of the group Alpha y Omega, from which he derives his stage name. Later on Omega formed the band Omega y Su Mambo Violento, which in 2006 released its first album titled Omega y Su Mambo Violento on the label Allegro Music. The album spawned his break-out hit, "Alante Alante." This was followed by a Casandra Award, given in the Dominican Republic in 2009. Omega then attended his first Latin Grammy Awards in 2010 and also performed at Presidente Beer's Festival of Latin Music in 2010, both events were pivotal to his international recognition. Also in 2010, Omega was able to tour the United States and performed in New York City's Manhattan Armory and at Elizabeth, New Jersey's Ritz Hotel, to name a few venues. Omega's continued popularity led to his being signed by Akon, through his record label Konvict Musik in 2011. Akon has confessed that Omega has helped him to conquer the Dominican market. Akon has also influenced Omega's music leading to Merengue with an Electronic blend as can be heard in Omega's 2012 hit, "Merengue Electronico."
|Year||Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2006||Omega y Su Mambo Violento||—||—|
|2007||En La Gran Mansion De Moca||—||—|
|2009||El Dueño del Flow||27||4|
|2011||El Dueño del Flow 2||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album(s)|
|2009||"Merengue Electronico"||40||48||31||—||El Dueño del Flow|
|2009||"Si Te Vas/Que Tengo Que Hacer"||—||42||35||45||El Dueño del Flow|
|2011||"Mr. Saxobeat"||—||25||—||—||Non-Album Single|
|"—" denotes the single failed to chart or not released|
As featured performer
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2008||"Mi Alma Se Muere"
(Fuego featuring Omega "El Fuerte" and Pitbull)
|—||—||1||Chosen Few III|
(Gocho featuring Jowell y Omega "El Fuerte")
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
- "Omega Biography". billboard.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Omega packs a lot into merengue shows". nydailynews.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Omega El Fuerte – Merenguero". thatsdominican.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Merengue de calle de Omega suena por lo alto en emisoras hispanas en Miami". El Nuevo Diario (in Spanish) (Miami, Florida). 1 January 2011. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Arrestan al cantante Omega por agredir física y sexualmente a su ex esposa". Soitu (in Spanish). EFE. 21 May 2008. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "El merengue de calle se desplomó y solo queda Omega". Elportal.com.do (in Spanish) (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic). 26 August 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Omega no quiere merengue de calle". Hoy (in Spanish). 5 June 2010. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Merengue Urbano: Not Your Father’s Merengue". bmi.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Biografía, carrera, discos y canciones de Omega" (in Spanish). republica-dominicana-live.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Almánzar, Ramón (25 March 2009). "Omega es "el fuerte"". Listin Diario (in Spanish). Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Extravagant After-After Party at the Latin Grammy Awards Show". nochelatina.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Latino happenings in Nueva York, Sept. 29-Oct. 5FRIDAY OCT. 1". nydailynews.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Akon Signs Mambo Superstar Omega". http://hot937.cbslocal.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Peralta, Laura (20 September 2011). "Akon: Omega "ha sido de gran ayuda"". Listin Diario (in Spanish). Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- Almánzar, Ramón (6 August 2013). "Merengue electrónico". Listin Diario (in Spanish). Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Billboard Top Latin Albums for Omega". Billboard.com. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Billboard Top Tropical Albums for Omega". Billboard.com. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Billboard Latin Airplay Songs". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Billboard Latin Digital Songs". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Billboard Latin Pop Songs". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Spanish Music Charts for Omega "El Fuerte"". SpanishCharts.com. Retrieved 2 November 2013.