Early life and education
Goswami did his B.A. from St. Xavier's College, Calcutta, Calcutta University. Omkar Goswami holds a Master's in Economics from the Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University in 1978; and in 1982 he received the doctor of philosophy in Economics from Oxford University for the thesis: "The jute economy of Bengal, 1900-1947: unequal interaction between the industrial, trading and agricultural sectors" under supervision of Tapan Raychaudhuri, the eminent Indian historian.
Returning from Oxford he worked most notably with Lovraj Kumar in the Government of India and had various academic associations. In March 1997 he became Editor of Business India, magazine. 
Dr. Goswami serves as a Director on the boards of Forbes, Infosys, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, DSP Merrill Lynch Fund Managers Limited, Infrastructure Development and Finance Company Limited, Crompton Greaves, Sona Koyo Steering Systems Limited, Ambuja Cements Limited and Cairn India Limited.  He is the Founder and Chairman of CERG Advisory Private Limited (CERG -Corporate and Economic Research Group) 
- The Jute Economy of Bengal 1900-1947: a study of interaction between the industrial, trading and agricultural sectors. University of Oxford Faculty of Modern History. Published by University of Oxford, 1982.
- Electronics in India, 1985-86 to 1989-90: Targets and Policies : a Report. Published by Association of Indian Engineering Industry, 1984.
- Industry, Trade, and Peasant Society: The Jute Economy of Eastern India, 1900-1947. Oxford University Press, 1991. ISBN 0-19-562701-6.
- Policy reform in India, by Isher Judge Ahluwalia, Rakesh Mohan, Omkar Goswami, Charles Oman. Published by Development Centre, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, 1996.
- Corporate bankruptcy in India: a comparative perspective. Published by OCDE.