Omphalophobia (from the Greek ὀμφαλός - omphalos, "navel" and φόβος - phobos, "fear") is the fear of bellybuttons. Refers to one being afraid of having one's bellybutton touched or tugged on by oneself or by other people. It is also the fear of seeing other people touch their own bellybutton. Most of the afflicted are able to look upon an untouched bellybutton but become extremely uncomfortable, nauseated, and anxious when one is being touched, especially their own. Sometimes linked to the feeling of an umbilical cord still being linked to the internal organs. Others may become nauseated from just a picture of a navel. As for most phobias extensive therapy or medication can be very effective of relieving the anxiety that comes with the phobia.
- Singer Jenny Frost is a celebrity who suffers from this fear. She is quoted saying "I don't like anybody touching my belly-button and it's like I will vomit on you if you touch my belly-button, plus I find it painful. It's not a funny thing, I'm not joking I don't like belly-buttons at all".
- Television personality and "actress" Khloe Kardashian admitted that she had fear about her belly button. She is quoted as saying,"Whales are disgusting and belly buttons are disgusting. I get chills every time I touch my belly"
- Czech model Daniela Peštová admitted that she hates her bellybutton being touched. For an interview for the July 1999 edition of Stuff, she was quoted as saying,"But my belly button is extremely sensitive—I hate having it touched. It’s almost physical pain. It wouldn’t stop things if we were getting hot and heavy, but it would be a place to avoid."
- Kari Nautique, a model who appeared in Playboy magazine in 2010, is another celebrity who suffers from this fear, She is quoted saying "I would rather have a root canal than: Have someone touch my belly-button. I actually have a strong phobia of anything touching my belly-button–it's called omphalophobia."
- Rebecca 'Bex' Shiner, a contestant in Big Brother 2008 (UK) admitted she had a phobia about her belly button. She said she hated it being touched by people.
- ὀμφαλός, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus
- φόβος, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus
- "List of All Phobias and Their Meanings". Buzzle.com. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "World's weirdest phobias". The Courier Mail. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Mike Hayes. "18 Phobias You Would Rather Not Suffer From". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Omphalophobia- Fear of belly buttons". dailybooth. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Mike Hayes. "18 Phobias You Would Rather Not Suffer From". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Treatment for Phobias
- "Jungle profile: Jenny Frost". Daily Mail. 16 November 2005. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Frost fears heights, spiders - and belly buttons
- Andy Neuenschwander. "Keeping Up with the Kardashians Running Kommentary: Kris and Brody Jenner Get Awko-Taco". Eonline. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Bob Ivry (July 1999). "Czech, Please!". Stuff. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Daniela Pestova". Stuff. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Josh Robertson. "There There, Nurse Kari Nautique Will Make It All Better". The Smoking Jacket. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Bex 'lashes out' over belly button phobia". DigitalSpy. Jun 19, 2008. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- "Bex's Belly Button Bummer". Smeggys. Retrieved 12 March 2012.