|Type||State owned unitary enterprise|
|Founded||Railway workshops: 1896
Military production: 1942
|Products||Armoured vehicles, tractors, excavators, metal castings, washing machines, other metal products|
Omsktransmash - also known as "Омский завод транспортного машиностроения" (English: Omsk transport machine factory) - is a wholly state-owned engineering company (GUP) based in the city of Omsk, Russia. The company was best known in the West during the Cold War period for its production of armoured vehicles such as the T-80 tank. The design bureau of the company, KBTM, was also responsible for the BTR-T, TOS-1 and 2S19 "Msta-S".
The beginnings of the organisation were in 1896 with the creation of a railway engineering workshop. The plant expanded in 1942 and gained its current importance when factories in the Ukraine (Luhanskteplovoz) and Leningrad were evacuated to beyond the Ural mountains during the second world war. During that period the plant produced the T-34 tank.
Tractor production began in 1993.
In the post-Soviet Union period the state's decision to fund tank production at Uralvagonzavod in Nizhny Tagil (manufacturer of the T-90 tank) at the expense of the Omsk factory caused financial ruin for the company. The organisation had designed a new prototype tank, named Black Eagle but it did not enter production. Although the plant received work modernising T-62 and T-72 tanks this did not provide sufficient income and in 2002 the company went bankrupt.
In 2004 the design arm of the business was absorbed into Uralvagonzavod.
In 2008 bids were taken for the sale of the non-military part of the enterprise, the winner being ChTZ-Uraltrak (ЧТЗ-Уралтрак).[note 2] However, the transaction was disallowed by the monopoly commission Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS) (Russian: Федеральная антимонопольная служба (ФАС)) due to complaints from Uraltrak's creditors Sverbank that they had not been paid.
In December 2009, JSC KBTM purchased the second part of Omsktransmash using funds provided by the Federal government.
Products and facilities
As well as formerly manufacturing tanks and other military vehicles, the company also produces a variety of wheeled industrial vehicles in both two- and four-wheel drive based on a 'tractor' chassis:
Other products include "Омь-1,5" and "Омь-2,0" washing machines, gate valves for pipelines, jacks, conveyors and other general industrial machinery and tools.
- Kirov Plant Tank and machine building factory in St. Petersburg
- Joint stock company "Design Bureau of Transport Machinery"
- Tracked vehicle manufacturer
- ГУП "Омский завод транспортного машиностроения" (Омсктрансмаш) SUE Omsk transport machinery plant, www.nsp.su
- Omsktransmash company website www.omsktransmash.com
- Omsktransmash www.gobalsecurity.org
- ГУП “Омский завод транспортного машиностроения” SUE Omsk transport machine factory, www.avtomash.ru
- Конструкторское бюро "Омсктрансмаша" станет филиалом "Уралвагонзавода" Design Bureau "Omsktransmash" will become a subsidiary of Uralvagonzavod, 23/01/2004, exkavator.ru
- Russia: No Idea What To Do With "Surplus" Tank Plant 1/9/2009 www.rusbiznews.com
- ЧТЗ до сих пор не вступил во владение активами Омсктрансмаша: сделку оспаривает Сбербанк CTZ still not in possession of Omsktransmash - Sverbank disputing, 9/7/2009 exkavator.ru
- Средства на покупку второго лота имущества Омсктрансмаша могут быть выделены КБТМ Funds for the purchase of second unit of property of Omsktransmash allocated to KBTM, 3/12/2009, exkavator.ru
- OMSKTRANSMASH GUP (State Unitary Enterprise "Transport Mechanical Engineering Plant") : Participants : VTTV-Omsk' 99 : Russia military show, www.rbs.ru (Svyazintech NPK)
- ОАО КБТМ, www.kbtm-omsk.ru , official website
- Omsktransmash globalsecurity.org