|Initial release||2.0 2010-07-19|
|Platform||Hypervisors (Xen, KVM, VMware)|
|Type||Private and Public cloud computing|
OnApp is a company that develops cloud management, CDN and storage software for service providers and enterprises.
Its OnApp Cloud software enables IaaS on commodity datacenter infrastructure: using OnApp Cloud, a company can create its own cloud, presenting heterogeneous server and storage devices as a single pool of resources that can be provisioned on demand to clients or end users. OnApp has also been described as "Cloud On-Ramp" software.
As well as creating cloud hosting infrastructure, OnApp Cloud software provides functionality for the management of cloud resources, including virtual machines, hypervisors, SANs and networks; end user accounts, permissions and limits; pricing and billing calculations for cloud resources; and failover between different hypervisors in the cloud.
On 8 August 2011 OnApp launched OnApp CDN, a federated CDN that uses spare capacity in OnApp-powered clouds to provide a global CDN platform for service providers. OnApp CDN combines software and services from OnApp and Aflexi, which became part of OnApp on the same date.
On 20 March 2012 OnApp announced OnApp Storage, a distributed block storage platform for cloud environments.
OnApp Cloud software uses hardware virtualization/paravirtualization methods to enable the deployment of multiple types of cloud hosting infrastructure: public clouds, private clouds, hybrid clouds and VPS clouds. It also allows hosts to offer traditional VPS hosting with local storage. OnApp describes its software as a multi-tenant tool with multi-cloud and multi-hypervisor support, and multi-OS support for virtual machines. The features of OnApp Cloud include:
- Rapid IaaS enablement: cloud infrastructure can be deployed "within a day or two"
- Simultaneous hosting of multiple variants of x86 and x64 Windows and Linux virtual machines
- Rapid virtual machine deployment using templates (a template in OnApp is a preconfigured OS image)
- Xen, KVM and VMware hypervisor support
- A GUI management interface, used by administrators to manage the cloud, and by customers to order and configure cloud resources
- Automatic hypervisor failover
- Utility (hourly) billing for CPU, RAM, storage, bandwidth, IOPS and IP resources, as well as plan-based billing (e.g. monthly)
- Integration to popular hosting billing software, including HostBill, WHMCS and Ubersmith
- A detailed permission, limits and user roles engine
- Support for any storage that presents a block device, including RAID, LVM, iSCSI, Fiber and local storage
- Hypervisor, data store and network zones, which can be used to create private clouds and availability zones
- A RESTful xml and JSON API
Version 2.2 of OnApp Cloud was announced on 21 July 2011. Version 2.2. added integrated autoscaling, load balancing, and support for virtual machines based on the FreeBSD operating system. Version 2.3 was announced on 7 October 2011. It introduced IPv6 support, the ability to migrate virtual disks between SANs, and the integration of OnApp CDN.
OnApp CDN combines software and services from OnApp and Aflexi, which recently became part of OnApp. It has three main components: the OnApp CDN Stack, which is edge server software that deploys as a virtual appliance managed by an OnApp Controller server; OnApp CDNaaS (CDN as a Service) which is a global DNS redirection service for the OnApp CDN platform; and the OnApp CDN Federation, which is a marketplace where hosting providers can buy CDN bandwidth from Points of Presence around the world, in order to build their CDN, and sell CDN bandwidth to other hosts.
OnApp Storage is a distributed block storage platform announced on 20 March 2012, along with a public beta program. It creates a Storage Area Network (SAN) from local disks in hypervisors, and has a decentralized management model in which each disk has its own integrated I/O controller.
- "OnApp launches Version 2.0 of groundbreaking cloud hosting software | OnApp". Onapp.com. 2010-07-19. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Neovise, IaaS enabling platforms - http://www.neovise.com/node/101>
- Tier 1 Research/The 451 Group: CloudScape Cloud Codex, January 2011, p25
- "OnApp launches CDN platform for hosting providers | OnApp". Onapp.com. 2011-08-08. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- .net, Content Delivery Networks, November 2011, p128
- "Leading CDN software provider, Aflexi, joins the OnApp family | OnApp". Onapp.com. 2011-08-08. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Dell Collaborates with OnApp to Launch Pre-Tested Cloud Offerings". CDN-Advisor.com. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "OnApp 2.1 extends leadership in cloud management software for hosts | OnApp". Onapp.com. 2011-02-02. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Web Host Industry Review magazine, October 2010, p30
- "OnApp launches version 2.2 of the leading cloud management software for hosts | OnApp". Onapp.com. 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "OnApp Cloud 2.3 | OnApp". Onapp.com. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "OnApp announces high-performance pay-as-you-grow SAN for service providers and enterprises | OnApp". Onapp.com. Retrieved 2012-03-20.